Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Sweet Movie {1974}
by Alfred
[December 03, 2022, 08:51:59 AM]
Justine {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 28, 2022, 08:55:10 AM]
Most Recent TV Show You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 23, 2022, 05:52:18 PM]
Beaten to Death {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 20, 2022, 06:12:47 AM]
QUALITY VIOLENT CINEMA
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:55:44 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:05:19 AM]
10 Extreme and Disturbing Films You Probably Have Not Seen
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 12:54:38 PM]
Terrifier 2 (2020)
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:33:12 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:06:59 AM]
The AU Trilogy Thread
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:27:26 AM]
Looking for Snuff R73
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:21:01 AM]
The Man in Room 6 {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 14, 2022, 10:09:46 AM]
Split ~ White Gardenia and Jack Mulvanerty
by woodenheart
[November 10, 2022, 12:53:24 AM]
Project Wolf Hunting {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 08, 2022, 09:54:35 AM]
Candy Land {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 04, 2022, 04:20:30 AM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 86827 times)

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
Re: Mayvvmi's List
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Maniac (short film) (2011)
Director: Shia LaBeouf
Initial release: ??
Watched: February 4,2016

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10
Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 7.5 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

The plot is fairly simple, two serial killers that have a goal of killing 8 people by the end of the film. The murders are short but very well done. This short film is in a foreign language with subtitles but there is hardly any talking in its short 10 minutes.

Enjoyable acting from every participant in this short film. The two serial killers were perfectly sick. Their attitude towards their killings reminded me of the two killers in Funny Games (1997). Very calm and collected and treated their work as a type of normalcy. Even the little snippet of Shia himself in the end was enjoyable.

The violence was realistic and shocking. I have to mention the favorite scene of the kiss given to the first female victim after she was dead in the snow. The blood was not overdone and perfect for the different settings. Usually I don't take too much enjoyment in gun murders but the shotgun splatter scene followed by relaxing with a beer was a nice touch. And I do like that Shia inserted himself into the end scene.

Cinematography was exactly what it should have been for this type of short. I loved the decision to not do a full black/white/grey-scale theme and add the bits of faded color, it really set the tone in my opinion. Overall great short.

Overall: 7.5 / 10

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
Awesome write up. : )

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
Thank you!

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »
Teach me how to write reviews like you do.
am fairly new here and ain't got any skills.

I honestly just write my opinions I don't really have any tips but there are some great writers I've seen on here you should go to them!

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
I guess i have to deal with my own instincts and work things up.
Just hate following the crowd.
Thanks for the input anyway.
Much appreciated.
Yeah, I guess just break it down into sections and dissect the film that way, although I know some writers only look at the film overall. It's a personal preference but I think its easier to break it into pieces first.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »
The Conspiracy (2012)
Director: Christopher MacBride
Initial release: August 23, 2013
Watched: February 08, 2016

Acting: 7 / 10
Gore: 2 / 10
Cinematography: 4 / 10
Overall: 4.75 / 10

Almost immediately sucked into this film with high hopes of a decent conspiracy horror story. I went in with too high of expectations and was definitely let down. Two friends decide to interview a crazy conspirator that ends up disappearing. One becomes obsessed with his theories and ends up finding the secret society. Mind you, this is about an hour into this hour and a half film. It felt dragged out with not much progression or explanation. I would guess that the climax should have begun during the meeting the the "brothers" and the start of the initiation into the secret society. In reality, however, the climax finally showed itself in the last 5 minutes of the film. The entire film was shot to feel like a documentary. It was the slowest burn to and an unsatisfying ending.

The acting was believable and helped the film while it lacked in excitement.

There was little to no violence whatsoever. I felt this was more of a thriller although it is also classified as a horror. I did not feel that way about it at all. The final scene showed no blood and blurry images of what was actually going on. Very disappointing; I felt that they could have done so much with the final scene and just fell short.

The cinematography was nothing special. Actually, it was pretty basic. The last 30 minutes of the film were shot like "found footage" through hidden cameras attached to the two friends. The only thing about the way they decided to piece together the film was the flashes and snippets of film of historical events. The John F. Kennedy scene in particular.
I would not watch this film again, it was not worth the watch.

Overall: 4.75 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
Jennifer Help Us (2014)
Director: Juan Ortiz
Initial release: October 26, 2014
Watched: February 12, 2016

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Cinematography: 7 / 10
Overall: 6.75 / 10

The plot was both unique and done-before at the same time but this is not negative at all. You have your teenage girls messing around in a haunted house with a vengeful spirit that eventually kills them all. I liked that the spirit believed Jennifer was her mother and did whatever she asked of her. The decision to insert flashbacks/flash-forwards as well as put the ending in the beginning of the film was creative. My only concern was the long period of film without dialogue. Jennifer's decision to kill herself in the end to join the girl spirit was a good idea for the ending, it fit the story perfectly.

This film definitely surprised me with the actors. Although they were not spectacular, their screams and cries were well done and that's mostly what mattered to me considering there was a huge chunk of film that had no dialogue. The ladies did very well. Jennifer was perfect in the end when she was talking to the last girl alive that was responsible for her being in the house. Her insanity really showed when she was talking about the girl's body parts being everywhere with pleasure and a smile. Loved it.

The blood looked nice along with some realistic looking attacks on the girls. It wasn't just implied that they were being murdered, some of the actions were actually shown. I do wish they would have used more blood, but it's not too big a deal.

For a low budget film shot on an iPhone, the cinematography was surprisingly well-done. I loved the chosen camera angle shots and focuses. The only thing I have to criticize is the color tint on the whole film. It almost looked like an Instagram filter that was too strong. Some of the scenes had high exposure as well and the shot kind of blurred and had a high yellow tint. It wasn't too bad to the point where it was annoying though. The film was good.

Overall: 6.75 / 10

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Great reviews! Always a pleasure to read your work.. : )

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 11:34:56 PM »
Thank you  :woodenheart:

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Torment (2013)
Director: Jordan Barker
Initial release: October 11, 2013
Watched: February 16, 2016

Acting: 7 / 10
Gore: 4 / 10
Cinematography: 6 / 10
Overall: 5.75 / 10

The plot was promising when I read the description on Netflix but it did not pan out as smoothly as it could. I'm a big believer in at least some explanation, and this film let a lot of its beginning plot up to the viewer to figure out. The twisted man that killed the family in the very beginning was sort of just left as a killer. There was no backstory explanation to why he was killing the family even late into the film. I assumed that he had a messed up childhood with no real father or mother, so he decided he was the savior of these children with supposedly horrible parents, and killed the parents in order to make the children part of his family. The daughter from the first family killed ended up being one of the masked killers. I don't know. I actually liked the fact that both of the couple survived and killed one of the people in the masks, but the ending was so corny. The main killer ended up catching up to the police car that saved the girl from the first family, and took her back. Meanwhile, the psycho in the ambulance got out of his handcuffs and implied killed the driver. The end.

My main reason for watching the film was solely for the fact that Katherine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps, American Mary, etc.) was the main woman. I love her as an actress and she was by far the best character in this film. The father was alright but he acted better while being tortured. The killers hardly gave off a corny vibe which was a godsend.

The violence was a little disappointing, a lot of purposely blocked shots and camera angles so the viewers never really saw the damage. There was enough blood for it to not be a waste though, and the torture electrocution scene was really needed but not long enough.

The cinematography wasn't too special, probably didn't like it as much because of the cut out violence that could have been included. Not too bad of a film, but I wouldn't give it a second watch.

Overall: 5.75 / 10

Offline Seikotik

• lawless
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • destroy/create
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:53 PM »
Great reviews.

I really enjoyed The Conspiracy and Torment for what they were.

Neither are spectacular but definitely not bad.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
Great reviews.

I really enjoyed The Conspiracy and Torment for what they were.

Neither are spectacular but definitely not bad.

Thank you!
I feel like I was a bit harsh with The Conspiracy because I think I hyped it up to be more than it was before I watched it.
But Torment was pretty good for what it was.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
I'm so bad with changing my ratings.. but I gave Torment an extra .25  :shifty:

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 12:28:01 AM »
The Witch (2016)
Director: Robert Eggers
Initial release: February 19, 2016
Watched: February 21, 2016

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 8.25 / 10

Okay, let me start out by saying I hyped this film up a lot before I watched it. The plot was not as interesting to me as the possible disturbing elements before I watched it. It started well and did not take that long to get the plot moving; the baby disappearing happened almost right away. The father has a thick accent and at times it was hard for me to understand him. The other characters accents didn't bother me. This film was definitely a slow burn, and even though the end wasn't as climactic as I assumed it would be, it didn't take away from the excellence of the film. The plot moved smoothly and didn't really thicken until a good portion into the film. I feel like the plot finally picked up when the son had his possession scene. The end was not what I expected but I loved it.

The acting was amazing for every character in the film, even the younger characters, more specifically the little brother. The daughter also much have a special mention especially in the end. One particular scene was the fight between her and her mother. You could really feel the pain in her decision to save herself and kill her mother that was choking her.

There was not a lot of violence but the scenes that did include blood were VERY well done. I loved when the blood was dripping on the daughters face from her mother on top of her. The best creepy/disturbing scene had to be when the crow was picking at the mother's breast after she had visualized it as her missing baby son. It was definitely the shocker of the film and caused the most reaction from the audience in the movie theater. The goat stabbing through the father with his horns was good. That's about the only violence in the film aside from Thomasin killing her mother.

I loved the angle shots and the whole way it was filmed. It was simple and the closeups before showing a whole picture worked for the film. I loved the soundtrack, very dramatic and suiting. Not typical music for a horror. Partially reminded me of the type of soundtrack used in The Village (2005), which coincidentally was also set in the woods.

Overall: 8.25 / 10

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 04:19:23 AM »
Oh, I've been waiting for this review. I know how much you were looking forward to this film. Great write up! I heard good things about this film but also heard it isn't much of a 'horror movie' more of a 'period piece'. I'm certainly gonna check this out.