Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Sweet Movie {1974}
by Alfred
[December 03, 2022, 08:51:59 AM]
Justine {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 28, 2022, 08:55:10 AM]
Most Recent TV Show You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 23, 2022, 05:52:18 PM]
Beaten to Death {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 20, 2022, 06:12:47 AM]
QUALITY VIOLENT CINEMA
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:55:44 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:05:19 AM]
10 Extreme and Disturbing Films You Probably Have Not Seen
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 12:54:38 PM]
Terrifier 2 (2020)
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:33:12 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:06:59 AM]
The AU Trilogy Thread
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:27:26 AM]
Looking for Snuff R73
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:21:01 AM]
The Man in Room 6 {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 14, 2022, 10:09:46 AM]
Split ~ White Gardenia and Jack Mulvanerty
by woodenheart
[November 10, 2022, 12:53:24 AM]
Project Wolf Hunting {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 08, 2022, 09:54:35 AM]
Candy Land {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 04, 2022, 04:20:30 AM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 86830 times)

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
Re: Mayvvmi's List
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! Sorry it took me so long, I looked up the trailers for all of them.
I havent seen much but I have seen Scanners (1981), The wizard of gore (1970) and Audition (1999).

Just added Jacob's ladder (1990), Angst (1983), Dead Ringers (1988), In the mouth of madness (1995) !!!, Men Behind the Sun (1988), Subconscious Cruelty (2000), In My Skin (2002)!!!, Three ... Extremes (2004) !!!!!!!, Imprint (2006) !!!!!!!, 120 days of Sodom (1975) heard a lot about this movie while looking up things to watch, Grotesque (2009) !!!, Ichi the Killer (2001), Santa Sangre (1989), Hanger (2009), Man bites dog (1992), Taxidermia (2006) !!!!!, and 7 Days (2010).

I put exclamation points next to the ones I REALLY want to see SOON. Thank you so much!

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 12:54:22 AM »
Honestly I've been thinking about it and I think I gave the movie way too high of a rating..

Okay I will definitely not be doing this again but I changed the rating and I feel a lot better now

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline perturbed

• EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 01:53:58 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! Sorry it took me so long, I looked up the trailers for all of them.
I havent seen much but I have seen Scanners (1981), The wizard of gore (1970) and Audition (1999).

Just added Jacob's ladder (1990), Angst (1983), Dead Ringers (1988), In the mouth of madness (1995) !!!, Men Behind the Sun (1988), Subconscious Cruelty (2000), In My Skin (2002)!!!, Three ... Extremes (2004) !!!!!!!, Imprint (2006) !!!!!!!, 120 days of Sodom (1975) heard a lot about this movie while looking up things to watch, Grotesque (2009) !!!, Ichi the Killer (2001), Santa Sangre (1989), Hanger (2009), Man bites dog (1992), Taxidermia (2006) !!!!!, and 7 Days (2010).

I put exclamation points next to the ones I REALLY want to see SOON. Thank you so much!

You're welcome, let me know what you think about.

You should consider to take a look to this one too in case you didn't, in my opinion the best movie about war, russian flick with very low budget and extremely underrated but a masterpiece in every sense of the word, btw i gave it a 10/10  "Come and see" (1985).

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »

If you gave it a 10/10 I will definitely check it out!

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:22 AM »
Grotesque / (Japanese) Gurotesuku グロテスク(2009)
Director: Kōji Shiraishi
Initial release: January 17, 2009
Watched: April 25, 2015

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 10 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10
Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 8.25 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

The plot was pretty simple. A man kidnaps a young couple after their first date and tortures them. The entire movie was in Japanese and I could not find a video with English subtitles so I basically watched this film completely lacking dialogue. I am planning to still search for the English subtitles but I still think I can comment based on what I did see. The twist near the end when the couple is believed to be allowed to go after they wake up in a hospital-like setting with their wounds bandaged for healing was a good part. I feel even though the fate of the couple returning to the torture room was not a shocker or complete surprise, it helped the film by providing a change of pace and tension. I loved the last scene of the movie too, of the graves with the scissors dangling between them.

The acting I thought was perfect, as I usually do with Asian horror cinema. Their pain and agony was realistic, even the girl at the end when she seems to have lost her shit and was smiling and I think almost laughing before he decapitates her. Both of the couple were great and the doctor was too, he was sinister but not too corny.

Considering this is an exploitation film, I am going to put that along with the gore category as to include all acts of violence. First, the blood was amazing, very realistic-looking and plenty of it! The cutting of the fingers and turning them into a necklace was a nice touch, an enjoyable bit of madness. The severing of the arm was nice as well while it lasted. I have always had a hard time watching sensitive areas being mutilated, so in this case it made me uneasy when he cut her nipples off. Same feeling I got while watching August Underground (2001). The end scene was very entertaining, with her severed head biting the man in the neck on the way down from falling to the floor. Now for the exploitation side, it was thankfully not as graphic as I thought it might have been. The exploitation side of underground horror cinema never struck an interest to me and I prefer watching straight gore.

The shots were nothing special but the overall film as a whole I enjoyed so I didn't really care that much. Some shots were liked more than others. I loved the last shot of all of them together on the torture room floor covered in blood. The transition between the torture room scenes and the flashbacks in the beginning could have been a bit smoother but in all reality I didn't care that much. Pretty good!

Overall: 8.25 / 10

Recommended by perturbed

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »
One of my favorites and I visit every so often. I really didn't like the ending but it doesn't take away from the film.

Beautiful write up!

EDIT* I wish you were more ready available, wouldn't mind you writing articles for EHC, but I understand your young and have life to experience. : )

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:47 PM »
One of my favorites and I visit every so often. I really didn't like the ending but it doesn't take away from the film.

Beautiful write up!

EDIT* I wish you were more ready available, wouldn't mind you writing articles for EHC, but I understand your young and have life to experience. : )

Thank you! :)
I wish I had more time to be on too but I won't have much time until the spring semester is up.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
The Babadook (2014)
Director: Jennifer Kent
Initial release: November 28, 2014
Watched: April 30, 2015

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10
Gore: 3 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 6.75 / 10

The plot was pretty original in my opinion, started out as an evil child and turned out to be the mom that was messed up. I was not entirely sure what was going on though. At first I just thought the mother was losing her mind, which she was, but scenes of the film made the Babadook supernatural as well. So I was a little confused as to what was happening. The scene when she supposedly defeats the Babadook and the body formation floats towards her before falling on the ground, to which she walks towards it and I believe touches it causing her to scream before appearing by the basement door, I don't understand at all. Some elements of the plot I suppose could be better explained, but the vagueness is not distracting. Still very entertaining. It started off quite slow and there were definitely creepy parts but no real HUGE climax or anything. The ending was confusing for me as well. I am not sure if I am supposed to interpret the majority of the film as the battles the mother is facing in her own head or if some of the Babadook was actually in the physical world. But overall, worth the watch.

The acting was very good coming from the main characters but some side characters were a little awkward. The mother was phenomenal in my opinion most of the time. The kid was pretty good as well; surprised me with how young he was. The mother though, I have to mention multiple times, was very good. Just watching her made me exhausted and feel a little tweaked.

There was really no violence, this film definitely was more for scare tactics. Definitely had very creepy elements and a little bit of blood. The most violence in it was the scene where her husband is talking to her, reciting the dialogue that was said right before he died, and then his head was cut in half. All the other blood was from a split second of her dead son (who wasn't really dead), and her pulling out her tooth. The bugs also added a creepy touch.

I loved the way this was filmed. The chosen focus shots were amazing and it was just very well done. I loved the color scheme they chose to used as well. It set the tone well. The way they sort of faded all the colors choosing to use very bland/boring colors, but then somehow accentuating them, reminded me of the color scheme from the The Village (2004). It really made certain colors pop, more specifically it made the blood more noticeable, which is good because there wasn't very much of it. Very well shot.

Overall: 6.75 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
Poltergeist (2015)
Director: Gil Kenan
Initial release: May 21, 2015
Watched: May 29, 2015

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 4 / 10
Gore: 2 / 10
Cinematography: 5 / 10
Overall: 4.25 / 10

My review for this film will be a bit different considering it is a remake, meaning I'll be a bit more harsh with my critique. Poltergeist (1982) has been one of my favorite horror movies simply because I watched it for the first time at a young age and it scared the shit out of me. This remake kept most of the original plot, but left out one of my favorite scenes! The addition of modern technology in the film kind of ruined it for me, they tried to incorporate too much in my opinion, to make it more connected to "modern today". I feel like the film was sort of rushed, I can't tell if that bothered me. They got straight into it probably to make more time for the prolonged ending that was a huge disappointment compared to the original. The spirits were complete CGI and there were no bodies exploding out of the ground. They definitely made the remake softer with a little bit of a "happier" ending. There was also some slight added humor, although that might not have been intentional.

The acting was mediocre and got worse when more characters arrived. The stereotypical teenage girl hating the new house was a bit annoying. The casting choice for the father was horrible and I could not take him seriously. I feel that the film lacked in character development for all the characters. The most you see is maybe in the little boy. The ghost hunters were pretty bad, and ruined the tension which was already lacking. Oh, and the blonde little girl turned brunette.

There was no blood or violent images throughout the entire film (which there wasn't much in the original either). BUT they changed my favorite scene from the original! The scene when one of the paranormal people tear of his own face is replaced by a scene in which the dad vomits up this black goo. The muddy pool pit scene is also missing from the film. The remake relies on jump scares throughout, most of which were pretty basic. However, I must admit the updated clown scene definitely got me! That might not be saying much considering I'm naturally jumpy. The CGI "souls" were actually pretty cool-looking, but I still would have preferred the flying coffins and bodies.

The remake was shot normally. No special or unique tactics that are of worthy mention. Once again I must bring up that they tried to incorporate too much modern technology, such as a remote control flying drone that they ended up flying into the other dimension to find Caroline (the little girl). There was also a scene in which the older daughter's iPhone was acting strange and it led her into the basement where she was being pulled down into a crack in the floor oozing with the same black goo. Overall, I knew in my heart that this remake was going to be a disappointment, but I was not prepared for how lame it made the plot seem.

Overall: 4.25 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
The Houses October Built (2014)
Director: Bobby Roe
Initial release: October 10, 2014
Watched: May 30, 2015

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 5 / 10
Cinematography: 7 / 10
Overall: 6.5 / 10

The plot was very original. I could go as far to say that this wasn't really a horror film but more of a thriller in my opinion. There were definitely horror elements, but as for violence/blood, there was nothing shown or it was literally fake. I enjoyed seeing the different haunted houses and the idea of a secret, more intense traveling haunted house was a cool idea. The whole plot seemed very realistic and the personal elements of the friends on the road actually made the film more enjoyable for me. There was some humor. The pace was pretty consistent but there were a few scenes that I questioned why they were even in the film. The ending was a little disappointing. I liked that they didn't just find the haunted house and it turned out being psychos that actually killed them.  But I expected it to be more intense/extreme. The ending is what determined that it was more of a thriller than a horror. They could have gone all out and tortured the friends, showed a little (or more preferably a lot) of blood, but they decided to go simple and bury them alive. It was like a firecracker burning and then fizzling out instead of exploding. Still definitely worth the watch, very entertaining.

The film was a fake documentary type, so the acting was very realistic and it helped the notion that this could actually happen which helped the film a lot. I could feel the fear and paranoia and second-guessing from each of the actors. There was really no character development but it didn't really matter at all, you still felt something for them (or at least I did). And character wise, the bloody bunny was my favorite of the psychos.

Like I said, the blood and violence was literally fake because the group was going through haunted houses. Little to no violence was shown towards the group even in the end. I gave this category a pretty high score solely based on the fact that they did the scenes going through the haunted house really well. I loved the elevator going down to the mental asylum type place in one of the houses. And of course, because you know its fake, there was no CGI and only prosthetic and makeup for the scary guys which made it infinitely better.

Part of the film was shot from personal type cameras, and the other parts of the film were normal filming style. I thought it was a really good idea that the director decided to use both instead of just handheld. Overall, I liked the film.

Overall: 6.5 / 10

Offline RIP

• Depraved
  • King of cheesy horror movies
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Good review of The Babadook. 8)
"a chill runs up your spine til you scream" = The Misfits

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 04:38:21 AM »
The Forest (2016)
Director: Jason Zada
Initial release: January 8, 2016
Watched: January 8, 2016

Plot: 5 / 10
Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 5 / 10
Cinematography: 5 / 10
Overall: 5.25 / 10

The only reason I decided to watch this film was because of my fascination with the Aokigahara Forest. I had first heard of the forest a few years ago through the internet and definitely hyped myself up for this once I saw the trailer. The plot was... alright. A sister goes to Japan to search for her sister who she believes to still be alive after being missing for a couple days in the forest. A little familiar, but alright. Basic jump scares are scattered throughout the beginning, the same as any horror film recently. When she finally gets into the forest is when it starts to get interesting, although not too interesting. Disturbing images and thoughts cloud her mind and reality and she soon begins to slip. A violent mishap that results in death occurs which leads to the very end. The film wasn't great, and the ending set that in stone. Anti-climactic and unsatisfying, as well as a little corny.

The acting I scored particularly high solely based on the fact that it was not as corny as it could have been. The acting was not phenomenal by any means but the main girl did a good job. The minor characters were also alright.

There were no huge occurrences of blood or violence, although there were several dead bodies that I thought they did well on in terms of props. I also happened to like the "creepy" faces that would appear. Or I have a fetish for Asian ghost girls, either one.

I actually enjoyed the cinematography a lot. The forest was beautiful and the decision to close in on shots of little creatures and details of the forest was intriguing. On the downside, it almost seemed as if they repeated that too much; however, it did not seem completely out of place or random.

Overall: 5.25 / 10

Offline Seikotik

• lawless
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • destroy/create
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »
I'm also fascinated with the Aokigahara Forest / Suicide Forest, and when I heard about the film I was excited.

Thanks for posting your review.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 03:07:09 AM »
I'm also fascinated with the Aokigahara Forest / Suicide Forest, and when I heard about the film I was excited.

Thanks for posting your review.
I'm glad you read it, it's been a while since I've written one.
I just wished they included more of the history of the forest into the storyline.
It was mentioned but never really explored :/
Feel free to share your thoughts if you decide to go see it!

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
I realize I gave The Forest way high of a rating