Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Topics

Sweet Movie {1974}
by Alfred
[December 03, 2022, 08:51:59 AM]
Justine {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 28, 2022, 08:55:10 AM]
Most Recent TV Show You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 23, 2022, 05:52:18 PM]
Beaten to Death {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 20, 2022, 06:12:47 AM]
QUALITY VIOLENT CINEMA
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:55:44 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by woodenheart
[November 19, 2022, 09:05:19 AM]
10 Extreme and Disturbing Films You Probably Have Not Seen
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 12:54:38 PM]
Terrifier 2 (2020)
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:33:12 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 11:06:59 AM]
The AU Trilogy Thread
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:27:26 AM]
Looking for Snuff R73
by Pamela Voorhees
[November 16, 2022, 10:21:01 AM]
The Man in Room 6 {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 14, 2022, 10:09:46 AM]
Split ~ White Gardenia and Jack Mulvanerty
by woodenheart
[November 10, 2022, 12:53:24 AM]
Project Wolf Hunting {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 08, 2022, 09:54:35 AM]
Candy Land {2022}
by woodenheart
[November 04, 2022, 04:20:30 AM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 86833 times)

Offline Dave

• Depraved
Re: Mayvvmi's List
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »
More of mine...

City of the Living Dead (1980)

The Beyond (1981)

Angel Heart (1987)

Don't Go In the House (1979)

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) - Make sure you get the original Spanish version

Tourist Trap (1979)

Torso (1973)

The Changeling (1980)

Night Warning (1982)

Cannibal Apocalypse (1980)

The Burning (1981)

The Prowler (1981)

Bloody Moon (1981)

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
When I can find the time I'll post some recommendations for you of old obscure stuff.

I will definitely add
Beyond the Darkness (1979)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
The Beyond (1981)
Angel Heart (1987)  !!! very interesting
Don't Go In the House (1979)
Tourist Trap (1979)
Torso (1973)
Cannibal Apocalypse (1980)
and Bloody Moon (1981)

I have seen the Burning and really enjoyed it!

I like that these are older because I am not very familiar with 70s/80s horror so I will definitely check these out  :)

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
Very nice list there :) some classics and a couple of no doubt future classics :)

I have a couple of suggestions that you may think about considering perhaps?  Apologies beforehand if you have seen any of these but just some films that spring to mind and what films I just  :red_heart:

Some gory ones!!
The August Underground Trilogy (ToeTag Pictures) (August Underground, August Underground Mordum & August Underground Penance)
Martyrs (2008)
Inside (2007)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Some of personal fav. of oldies!!
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain (1981)
Silver Bullet (1985)
The Shining (1980)
Eraserhead (1977)

Hope this hellps :)

I have seen all of the top 4 (and all the au) and they are definitely worth being suggestions!
Seen the Shining of course and Eraserhead

I'll add Nightmares in a Damaged Brain (1981)

I'm not too much of a fan of werewolf movies but do you still think I should check out Silver Bullet?!

I don't think either of us wants you alive for the things I'm going to do to you.

Offline Dave

• Depraved
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 01:48:10 PM »
Angel Heart (1987)  !!! very interesting
'Angel Heart' is one of my ten favourite films of all time of all genres.

I have seen the Burning and really enjoyed it!
I love slashers from the early '80s and 'The Burning' is one of the most solid. If you want to give 'The Prowler' a chance you will see some of the most mind blowing special make-up effects ever in a slasher. It's Tom Savini's best work in the sub-genre and just some of his best ever work.

I like that these are older because I am not very familiar with 70s/80s horror so I will definitely check these out  :)
The '70s and '80s are my got to decades of the genre but I love stuff going back as far as early horror as well.

Here's a few more of my recs from my earlier post you might have missed...

http://extremehorrorcinema.com/index.php?topic=3343.msg39976#msg39976

Offline Visitor Q

• Debauched
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
If you haven't seen them, I suggest:

Dogtooth (2009)

In A Glass Cage (1987)

Singapore Sling (1990)

All Night Long 3 (1996)

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
I'll add The Prowler when I get to a computer because its hard to post on my phone

If you haven't seen them, I suggest:

Dogtooth (2009)

In A Glass Cage (1987)

Singapore Sling (1990)

All Night Long 3 (1996)

Ive seen Dogtooth and Ive heard a lot about the Singapore Sling, dont know why I didnt think to add it!

Ill watch the trailers for the other two when I get to a computer as well :)

Splat

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
You need Singapore Sling  :yes:

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 02:41:01 AM »
Pieces of Talent (2014)
Director: Joe Stauffer
Initial release: June 6, 2014
Watched: March 1, 2015

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 8 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

The plot got more interesting as the film went on, as in I really didn't get it until later when the pieces were put together, but even then I didn't really understand the ending. How did his film ("Charlotte") help her create a new life? And what happened to him? Maybe I missed something. I will be watching it again very soon to see if there's anything in the dialogue that I may have overlooked. And I would definitely watch it again for entertainment value. However, the flow was not consistant; at times the pace was nice but some scenes were dragged out and not really filled with important elements to the plot, which sort of came off as boring. I loved the ending when she was being showed his film, it was so sick and twisted and enforced a literal meaning of "no good deed goes unpunished". I liked that she didn't end up getting raped or killed in the end too, it avoided turning the end into somewhat of a cliche or just being predictable.

The acting was awesome. David was so sick! I loved how much his madness was shown through his enjoyment while killing his victims. That smile of his made me giggle a couple times because he looked so happy and then you remember what he's doing and it makes it all so twisted! Charlotte was pretty good as well, a little awkward at times but I assumed that was just her character. Her crying and reaction when she realized what David had done was phenominal. This may sound weird but all the characters that died, died very well. Like none of them were corny/lame and "the fox" probably had the best screams/cries/noises out of all of them.

The blood and deaths were pretty nice. LOVED the opening scene. I wished they showed more to be honest, however. The main violence and "killshots" were either filmed from an angle which made it hard to see or it was intentionally blurred, although that shotgun to the head was pretty nice. Probably one of my favorite scenes was David laying down with his first victim by the freeway "waving" to the cars passing by, it really set the tone for the film. So the way the characters died and David's nature while killing them made up for the lack of actual blood. But like I said, I wish they showed more/had more blood or violence or anything.

Okay I would just like to say that I absolutely loved the way 90% of this was filmed. The camera angles and lighting were almost perfect in every scene. Some shots were kind of random and not needed. And some shots were over-colored in my opinion, like when David was jumping into the pool and such. But overall the coloring and lighting of the shots really stood out to me and made me enjoy watching it even more.

Overall: 8 / 10

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 05:23:37 AM »
Great review and I am glad you enjoyed it. : )

I love your writing style.

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
Suicide (2004)
Director: Raoul W. Heimrich, Yvonne Wunschel
Initial release: April 27, 2004
Watched: March 12, 2015

Plot: 3 / 10
Acting: 5 / 10
Gore: 4 / 10
Cinematography: 3 / 10
Overall: 3.75 / 10

The plot sounded promising, filming suicides. It got me pretty excited for the creative ways they could have come up with for how the people killed themselves. Total letdown. The film was boring to be honest.

The acting was the only thing that kept me watching. Some characters were mediocre and others were better. The couple filming people were mediocre. I would have not watched until the end if the acting was a shitty as the film itself.

The violence/deaths/blood were lame. I was hoping for deaths that were at least a little more exciting. I had new hope each time a new character's suicide was up, and was let down almost every time. The only interesting death was the very end, when he jumped in front of the truck. The only thing disturbing about the film was the very plot of filming suicides, but the content itself was majorly lacking in the shock factor.

I probably should be nicer considering its supposed to be "mockumentary" of some sorts, but the cuts to the couple sitting in the car after every suicide was redundant and made the film worse than if they just stuck to the hand-held style of filming.

Overall: 3.75 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
V/H/S Viral (2014)
Director: Nacho Vigalondo, Justin Benson, Marcel Sarmiento, Aaron Moorhead, Gregg Bishop
Initial release: August 25, 2014
Watched: April 9, 2015

Plot: 5 / 10
Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 5 / 10
Cinematography: 5 / 10
Overall: 5.25 / 10

Because of the style of film this is, I had no expectations for plot because they are all random. To start, the story or idea of the ice cream truck and the mayhem it brought was sort of good. The only part of these segments that I actually enjoyed was when the guy was dragging behind the ice cream truck and you could see his feet being torn apart, it was a cool shot in my opinion. The ghetto party was weird but gave my a giggle. The rest of the ice cream truck pieces are unmentionable.
The first short, the magician, was extremely corny. It has interesting elements at times but the short was a negative for me, especially the somewhat cliche ending. Let's just say I was glad when the film moved on.
The second short, the "aliens" or alternate reality, was very interesting. I watched the film on Netflix and for some reason there were no subtitles for this short even when the short was entirely Spanish, so I had to try to translate as much as I could. The beginning got me hooked and I really wanted to see what would happen. However, as the short continued I realized that the majority of it was dialogue and nothing really happening which made the short seem like it was dragged out and boring. When the pace picked up and danger seemed to creep in, the creature reveal, or should I say creature body part, was a definite relief to the slow burn. They reminded me of the creatures from John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). My opinion of the short is pretty neutral.
My favorite short by far was the skateboarders. This was the short that saved the film from being a waste of time in my opinion. It was never boring, the pace was exactly right and there were plenty of kills! My assumption of the ending was that the boys got away, but who really knows?!

The acting was mediocre for 80% of the film. The alien short had the best acting. The worst was the ghetto party and the magician. I honestly couldn't tell with the skateboarders but the acting didn't bother me because I thought the teens captured the mentality of their characters really well and it actually seemed realistic.

The were only two worthy mentions for gore and violence in this film. The first was the guy being dragged by the ice cream truck, I thought they did really well with his feet being dragged and when they fell off hit the guy on the bike I found it pretty entertaining. The second was the entire fight scene for the skateboarders. The blood was good to see and even when the boys were just beating the hell out of some skeletons, it was a fun watch.

I was a little disappointed that the majority of the film was shot like a regular movie which completely defeated the purpose of the "VHS vibe". The camera angles were still "hand-held" and not as professional, however, so it was not a total loss.

Overall: 5.25 / 10

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Great write up!

I really can see your point of view but nothing, for me that is, saved this film. I disliked it.

Offline perturbed

• EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »
A few suggestions:

Jacob's ladder (1990)

Angst aka Fear (1983)

Sporloos aka The Vanishing (1988)

Dead Ringers (1988)

Scanners (1981)

In the mouth of madness (1995)

Offline perturbed

• EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:21 PM »
Gore:

Men behind the sun (1988)
Subconscious cruelty (1999)
Mondo Cane (1962)
In my skin (2002)
Three ... Extremes (2004)
Imprint (2006)
Deranged (1974)
Saló, or the 120 days of Sodom (1975) perhaps doesn't fit like gore anyway imho is good film
Grotesque (2009)
Aftermath (1994)
Orozco the embalmer (2001)
The wizard of gore (1970)
Audition (1999) could be a bit slow but give it a try
Trouble every day (2001)
Ichi the killer (2001)
Santa Sangre (1989) a movie that switch between horror, gore, drama, thriller, surrealism, one of the best movies i've ever watched
Hanger (2009)
Man bites dog (1992)
I stand alone (1998)
Taxidermia (2006)  very weird, disgusting, disturbing, fucking amazing movie
Henry: Portrait of a serious killer (1986)
7 Days (2010)

Offline Mayvmi

• まゆみ ♡
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
    • Reviews
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:59 PM »
Great write up!

I really can see your point of view but nothing, for me that is, saved this film. I disliked it.

Honestly I've been thinking about it and I think I gave the movie way too high of a rating..