Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

Post The Last Movie You Watched
by Seikotik
[Today at 08:01:39 AM]
Pond Scum
by woodenheart
[Yesterday at 11:09:49 PM]
A Shrine To Nicolas Cage (Actor Appreciation)
by Seikotik
[Yesterday at 07:47:25 PM]
magGot Films...{films that kill}
by splat
[Yesterday at 09:11:03 AM]
mentalheadtraumafilms
by splat
[February 18, 2018, 08:49:31 AM]
Children of the Living Dead - 2001
by splat
[February 18, 2018, 08:45:03 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by woodenheart
[February 17, 2018, 03:23:40 PM]
Let's Make a…Horror Movie (2014) / magGot Films {Films that Kill}
by splat
[February 17, 2018, 10:31:23 AM]
Flowers 02
by woodenheart
[February 17, 2018, 02:04:10 AM]
A Touch of Sin (2013)
by perturbed
[February 16, 2018, 10:06:40 AM]
Death House {2017}
by woodenheart
[February 15, 2018, 03:40:44 PM]
South Mill District - A Film by Joe Meredith
by woodenheart
[February 14, 2018, 10:32:49 PM]
House Shark {2018}
by woodenheart
[February 14, 2018, 09:59:13 PM]
Italian Directors Poll
by CountOrlok
[February 14, 2018, 07:13:01 PM]
Flesh of the Void
by Seikotik
[February 14, 2018, 05:35:11 AM]

Author Topic: James Quinn Filmmaker Avant-garde  (Read 1087 times)

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
James Quinn Filmmaker Avant-garde
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

The flesh prevaileth.

Film director at Flesh of the Void
Writer/Director/Producer at Sodom & Chimera Productions
Film director at Trinity of Decay
Film director at The Law of Sodom
Lives in Linz, Austria

When visual filth meets physical beauty, a paradox is created. The filth becomes more filthy, the beauty more beautiful. Both go their ways, but in opposite directions, creating a tension that makes you look at it more closely. You observe, and come to the conclusion that the filth is in fact non-existent. It's aesthetics in disguise.

If you feel like praying for people who were shot in a church, you're an absolute fucking moronic cunt. This is exactly the time to throw your crucifix out the window and actually start thinking and acting, striving to solve problems instead of kneeling down and fearfully sending your superficial wishes to an all mighty being you believe is sitting up in heaven and hoping he/she is magically going to solve your problems. Hell, the people who were killed were certainly praying too at that exact moment. Doesn't that tell you anything?

James Quinn
November 5 at 11:39pm ·
Check out this article, for which Waylon Jordan from iHorror did an interview with me. This is the most personal interview I've ever had, I completely opened up, and instead of just talking about the technical aspects of my work, we also covered a lot of very, very personal themes, things I barely ever tell anyone. I really, immensely appreciate this opportunity to say all of these things. It's the most honest thing anyone has ever written about me, and I'm insanely glad I got to do this. Thank you, iHorror and Waylon Jordan.

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
Re: James Quinn Filmmaker Avant-garde
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:01 AM »
Smart guy and hugely talented!

Awesome he went with film, teaching himself and working through how to go about developing that old film.

Most certainly a guy to look up too as a human being as well as filmmaker!

Offline bacon kractor

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Twisted
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
yea, i'm really looking forward to the release on vimeo of some of his stuff so i can finally check it out ... seems like it would lend itself to some pretty serious special editions in terms of packaging / extras as well

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »

This might be my favorite photo I've ever taken. It really was a matter of being at the right place at the right time, and hitting the shutter at the exact right moment, in a matter of seconds, and getting this bizarre encounter of a cat and chicken in the middle of a snowstorm on camera. Shooting it on 35mm made it a bit more stressful, since I had to be extremely quick with getting the exposure and focus right. What came out really blew me away though, visually. I usually always try to tell stories with my photography, and they're usually very suggestive, but this one is far beyond that. I'm going to leave it open how this actually came to happen, and what the exact story behind it is. That's the whole beauty of this photo to me. It weirdly gets your thoughts going.

Also, it's photos like this one that are the reason why I only shoot film anymore. Really nicely demonstrates the qualities of 35mm.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
Oh my lord...I love this man.  :black_heart:

Continued the huge Baphomet piece on my torso yesterday. Can't fucking wait to finish this, love it so much already.
Also, after still having a bit of time left, we added two things to my inner wrists. 'Scapegoat' and 'Godcunt', symbolizing the left hand path (on the left hand) and right hand path (on the right hand). Probably some of the more radical tattoos I got so far.
As always, hail to the master Armin Schweiger for these, fucking love how they turned out.

Offline bacon kractor

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Twisted
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
really hoping at some point i can rent these and check the shorts out ... looks really striking

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
James Quinn
16 mins ·
A secret project is coming. A short film, to be precise. It's unlike anything I've ever done, and we finished shooting it today, including a promo shoot on 35mm.

I won't say at all what this is about, or what it is. The actual announcement will follow most likely tomorrow, along with promo photos.

But... There is only one single shot in the film that contains something that is even remotely disturbing, and trust me when I say it's so beyond fucked up that I can't even find the words. Not only that, shooting it, that one scene, was the single most extreme thing I have ever put any actor through, and I'm glad it's over. We laughed about it afterwards, but it wasn't as funny during the shoot. At all.

As said, promo photography and/or a promo poster along with a title and more information about the film will be released tomorrow. You better be prepared for this. For now, check out the photo below of me preparing "that" scene.

It's also worth mentioning that this will be my last short for the year, and looking back, I don't think I can ever top 2017 in terms of productivity. Five short films, four music videos (three of those shot in a studio for the same band, promoting three different songs, all of those are still waiting to be released), a feature film, two feature screenplays, three or four finished short scripts, and just finished pre-production on another music video we're shooting early January. No wonder I can't feel my legs anymore.

To another year of fucking madness and insane and weird films.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
James Quinn
25 mins ·
Before the Theotoxin music video shoot past weekend, I made a post in a filmmaking Facebook group, where I stated I was looking for gaffers. The only reply I ever got was just now, which was a guy commenting "I'm going to shit in your asshole". This sums up independent filmmaking, if you ask me.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
James Quinn
4 hrs ·
I keep seeing people trying to explain to others why something they think is good, or bad, (a movie, song, band or book, you know, art) is actually the opposite, and why they shouldn't or should like it. This also not only applies to art, but trivial (and I'm talking strictly about trivial ones) opinions in general. People, before you go out trying to be right about something, think about this: You're one of 7,6 billion people on a floating rock in space. Technically, it neither matters that you think differently about something than someone else does (talking about the trivial things, I have to mention this again), nor is the thought that your opinion is more correct than those of others anything else but destructively solipsistic. You're creating a problem for yourself that's not there. Life is a lot easier if you abandon the compulsive thought that there's such a thing as objectivity. Think about what that means. It's good that our opinions are so subjective and unique. Otherwise we'd all be the same. Be happy that someone else dislikes something you really like, or loves something you dislike. Maybe even hear them out. It doesn't mean you have to agree. It makes us what we are, individuals. And it still doesn't interfere with your ability of liking, or disliking things. Or even being right. Because to yourself, it may still be true. Just accept that, like I said, on a planet with 7,6 billion beings, you can't always be the wisest one.

:red_heart:

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • 病気の
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »
James Quinn added 2 new photos.
2 hrs ·
Currently stocking up on 16mm prints of all sorts. Recently got this gem from eBay, for ridiculous 4$. No one seems to have wanted it, to my luck. It's a 15 minute short from Germany titled "Lasst Mich Doch Sterben", which translates to "Just Let Me Die". It's essentially about a young (15-16) old kid who has Leukemia and suffers so greatly, that he asks people to help him die. Yes, I know. I couldn't believe it either. The entire film is him being visited in the hospital by friends and family, and them talking about him wanting to end it all. In the end, the mother has a discussion with a priest about if she should let him quit the medication and measures they took that keep him alive, so he can end the suffering. You never find out what she decided upon. It just ends with her going back into his room. The door closes, camera zooms in on it, the end. I have rarely ever seen a short this depressing and bleak. There's even a scene where one of his class mates makes fun of him being in hospital.
I'm insanely happy I found this, since it seems the absolute only way to watch it is through obtaining a 16mm print. Nowhere to be found online.
The craziest thing about this: It seems to have been used in schools in the 70s for educational purposes, to talk about euthanasia. Wickedly fucked up.
Next on: 16mm print of the feature The Entity from the 80s. Never seen it before, but I imagine it's less depressing than the last one.
Also, sorry for the quality of the second image, taking a photo of the projected image with my phone doesn't look too good.