Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

Suspiria (1977)
by splat
[Today at 07:40:02 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Today at 07:35:09 AM]
Suicide Squad {2016}
by IrishG3nt
[Today at 07:24:32 AM]
Difficulty Breathing {2017} 2018 Release
by bacon kractor
[December 09, 2017, 06:38:45 PM]
black lava entertainment
by woodenheart
[December 08, 2017, 08:24:40 PM]
Short Films From the UNDERGROUND.
by woodenheart
[December 08, 2017, 05:11:52 AM]
Shellmont ~ A Gus Trapani Film
by woodenheart
[December 07, 2017, 03:26:11 PM]
Sweet Virginia (2017)
by perturbed
[December 06, 2017, 09:58:08 PM]
James Quinn Filmmaker Avant-garde
by woodenheart
[December 06, 2017, 03:50:07 PM]
Day of the Dead:Bloodline {2018}
by splat
[December 05, 2017, 08:40:35 PM]
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon
by Mr. Awesome
[December 03, 2017, 11:31:17 AM]
South Mill District - A Film by Joe Meredith
by Mayvmi
[December 03, 2017, 03:20:06 AM]
The Bizarre Art of Samantha {2018} Adrian Baez
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2017, 04:46:54 AM]
The Temple of Lilith
by splat
[November 29, 2017, 09:56:27 PM]
Bonehill Road {2017}
by woodenheart
[November 27, 2017, 03:14:33 PM]

Author Topic: I Dared You: Truth or Dare 5 (2017) Movie Review  (Read 309 times)

Offline The Geek

• Twisted
I Dared You: Truth or Dare 5 (2017) Movie Review
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
I Dared You: Truth or Dare 5 (2017) Movie Review

Director-Tim Ritter, Scott Tepperman
Stars-Scott Tepperman, Joel D. Wynkoop, Jim O'Rear
Run Time-88 minutes
Rating: 5/10

Plot:

Sunnyville Mental patient Daxton Hackman seeks revenge on Detective Dan Hess, forcing him into a final, violent game of truth or dare.

Review:

I’ve been a fan of Tim Ritter’s work for awhile now and I was excited to sit down and watch the latest installment in the franchise Ritter started back in 1986 with “Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness”. I’m a big fan of the first two films, have a mixed opinion on the third and liked the 4th film titled Deadly Games. That one came out in 2011 and I thought that was the last truth or dare I’d ever see….but Ritter is back (this time co-directing with Scott Tepperman, also the film’s lead actor) with 2017’s “I Dared You: Truth or Dare 5”

So what did I think about it? Read on!

Sadly I disliked it more than liked it. Before I tell you why let me explain what I did like about it.

First I loved the opening scene in the video store. I kept rewinding it over and over again so I could check out all the titles on the video shelf. It made me nostalgic for the days in which I was a young lad and saw the very same titles in my local video store.  I also liked Scott Tepperman’s performance in the film. I found his character arc interesting and loved his connection to the original film. The MVP of the film, however, is Joel D. Wynkoop as Dan Hess. Hess was in the first three films but sadly MIA in the 4th one. Wynkoop is always a joy to watch and kept the film from falling apart. Lastly I liked that it continued  a certain story theme introduced in the 4th film in which truth or dare has become an internet sensation with all kinds of people uploading videos of their own truth or dare game.

Sadly that’s all I liked about it. The film is very rough around the edges with shots continually going in and out of focus, bad sound and horrible supporting actors. Usually I let those things go if I’m invested in the story. The 4th Truth or Dare film was very rough but had an engaging story and a killer final twist. This one didn’t. I was actually kind of bored with it. It’s a shame because, as I mentioned above, the two lead actors are pretty good but they’re not given a worthy or well executed storyline.  Dan Hess doesn’t even enter the main storyline until 50 minutes in and by that time I was already checked out and only kept watching for Joel D. Wynkoop.

But what about the kills? Honestly they’re pretty meh. There wasn’t a stand out kill in the film and that’s a shame because Truth or Dare usually delivers some solid kills.

Also in the video store sequence it features a VHS of the original Truth or Dare film…so where does this film take place? Movie world or the real world? I understand it was probably a wink wink to the fans but it made things more confusing than anything else.

So yeah I didn’t like it but you know what? If Tim Ritter made another one I’d watch it in a heartbeat. To quote Billy Bob Thornton’s character in Bad Santa “Well they can’t all be winners, can they?” I still recommend you hardcore Tim Ritter/Truth or Dare fans to check it out.

I Dare You: Truth or Dare 5 should be out early next year on Blu-ray, DVD, VHS and streaming.