Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

Suspiria (1977)
by splat
[Today at 07:40:02 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Today at 07:35:09 AM]
Suicide Squad {2016}
by IrishG3nt
[Today at 07:24:32 AM]
Difficulty Breathing {2017} 2018 Release
by bacon kractor
[December 09, 2017, 06:38:45 PM]
black lava entertainment
by woodenheart
[December 08, 2017, 08:24:40 PM]
Short Films From the UNDERGROUND.
by woodenheart
[December 08, 2017, 05:11:52 AM]
Shellmont ~ A Gus Trapani Film
by woodenheart
[December 07, 2017, 03:26:11 PM]
Sweet Virginia (2017)
by perturbed
[December 06, 2017, 09:58:08 PM]
James Quinn Filmmaker Avant-garde
by woodenheart
[December 06, 2017, 03:50:07 PM]
Day of the Dead:Bloodline {2018}
by splat
[December 05, 2017, 08:40:35 PM]
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon
by Mr. Awesome
[December 03, 2017, 11:31:17 AM]
South Mill District - A Film by Joe Meredith
by Mayvmi
[December 03, 2017, 03:20:06 AM]
The Bizarre Art of Samantha {2018} Adrian Baez
by woodenheart
[November 30, 2017, 04:46:54 AM]
The Temple of Lilith
by splat
[November 29, 2017, 09:56:27 PM]
Bonehill Road {2017}
by woodenheart
[November 27, 2017, 03:14:33 PM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 24514 times)

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
Re: Mayvmi's List
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976)
Director: Charles B. Pierce
Initial release: December 24, 1976
Watched: January 02, 2017

Plot: 8 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 3 / 10
Cinematography: 7 / 10
Overall: 6.75 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

First things first, I want to inform you that even though this has a sort of low rating, it was still an enjoyable film for me. It was shot as a normal film with some documentary type aspects to it including voice-overs throughout the film including the end and what happened to everyone after the massacre was over. My main interest in watching it until the end was because it was based on a true story. It pretty much followed this "phantom killer" during his terror of a small town in Arkansas. The story was very dialogue heavy, and most of the film was the police and what they planned to do rather than the actual attacks on the victims. There was quite a lot of humor in the dialogue as well, but I felt it made the entire film kind of drag on.

The acting was surprisingly very good. I was expecting corny late reactions and screams but the victims were not bad, if you can ignore the extreme contrast of a relatively quiet film with two scenes of LOUD female screaming. The girl tied to the tree was probably my favorite to watch, even though her death was a little confusing.

I know that certain tricks were used and older horror didn't have the same special effects as movies produced years later, but the kills in this film were so tame. Barely any blood was shown, and all the blood was pretty much after the fact. You never really get to see any actual blows on the victims, but you do see some get shot later. A little disappointing in this area. Still trying to wrap my brain around the trumpet kill, like why??

There was nothing special about the style of filming for this movie but I didn't want to give it any lower for it would give the overall score an even lower average. One comment I have to make though is that they did their lighting well for most of the action happening at night. Sometimes the video quality of older film makes dark scenes hard to see, but that was not the case here. I honestly enjoyed the movie, wouldn't be a top pick to watch again, however.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)
Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
Initial release: April 9, 2015
Watched: January 02, 2017

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Overall: 7 / 10

So I watched this remake, or rather continuation, the same day as the original. I thought the idea for a present day massacre sort of inspired by the movie was interesting, similar in a way to The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011). But once I got to the end of this movie, I thought the reasoning behind the start of the copycat killings was sort of... lame. I get that the future spawn of a victim of the original killer would be upset the victim was sort of forgotten about, but I honestly didn't think it was reason enough and it kind of made the whole movie corny to me all of a sudden. But, it didn't make it complete shit which is why it still received a higher rating than the original. And what's with the boyfriend wannabe Stu Macher being apart of it?? Like were you really that upset with where your life, a successful one I might add, was going that you thought participating in murder would make you more memorable and amazing?? Dumb twist.

The acting was pretty good. Usually when it comes to horror movies, I judge normal acting the same amount I judge their acting when they're dying, sometimes judging them when they're dying more. I was very satisfied with the way all the characters were when they died, the screams and saliva and teary eyes were all well done. Special mention to the two guys that were killed right after they decided they were going to suck each others dicks. Sorry boys. I almost thought that the killer was going to fuck the one tied up with the knife trumpet because he knew that he was gay, instead of sticking to the original and just stabbing him in the back. Thankfully, I was wrong.

This movie made up for the lack of blood in the original. There were some scenes where it looked like an overuse of blood, but of course I didn't care about that. The more blood the better. I think I realized while watching this movie that I especially like when blood and spit are spilling out of the mouth.

Better angles were used in this movie than the original. My confusion with the knife trumpet was finally answered watching this. I didn't fully understand how he was stabbing him in the original, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. But obviously the better camera quality made everything easier to see. This is probably the only remake/continuation movie I would recommend not seeing the original first, it's honestly not needed.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
Beyond the Darkness (1979)
Director: Joe D'Amato
Initial release: June 1, 1984
Watched: January 03, 2017

Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 8 / 10

The plot was interesting and sick just reading about it so I had to see what visualization they would make of it. I felt the elements were well put together as in spacing between story and violence. Each character seemed to have an important purpose to the development of the story. Even the jealous housemaid seemed random at first but fit well later on as she helped the husband through the spurts of his madness. I thought the first victim, the hitchhiker, was a funny start. She forced herself into his car when he tried to avoid her, so of course she had to die, pretty much did it to herself. And what kind of weed was she smoking? Bitch knocked out from a few puffs of the ganja.

It amazes me how I'm starting to notice that not all 70s/80s horror has bad/corny acting. All the characters portrayed their characters well, especially the creepiness of the housemaid. I really enjoyed her character.

This film included more violence than I anticipated. I was expecting some stabs and late reactions and implied deaths rather than shown, but I was thankfully mistaken. Even early on in the film, the pulling of the hitchhikers nails was a good start. I only wish there was a bit more blood. I thought the scene of him kissing on the girl who sprained her ankle running while he looked at his wife's dead body in the bed next to them was an important scene. The chunk bit out of her neck was awesome, I love body parts getting bitten (much like in American Psycho 2000, Cape Fear 1991). I enjoyed the hacking of the limbs before throwing them in the bathtub. Good stuff.

Nothing super special about the style of filming, good inserts though. Makes you focus on the right things at the right time. Overall excellent film! Wouldn't mind adding this one to my collection.

Recommended by Dave

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:53 AM »
Starry Eyes (2014)
Director: Kevin Kolsch, Dennis Widmyer
Initial release: November 14, 2014
Watched: January 10, 2017

Plot: 6 / 10

Went into this movie without watching the trailer and going off nothing but the Netflix description. Plot sounded kind of silly to me at first and I didn't know how they were going to make that work. Even at the end I still didn't really understand why or how she had to be transformed and was the whole production company in on it and just... what? I spent the first hour of the movie wondering where they were even taking the story line. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the whole thing, it was just a really slow burn. I liked that the main girl was unstable and her breakdowns were really successful at making an impact, but then I would think about the ultimate outcome of the movie, mentioned in the description, and it had me stuck wondering like... okay... but how does this lead to her to her ultimate destination? And then the ending comes and slaps you in the face with buckets of blood and a naked "rebirth", and all of a sudden, everything that had happened before was worth it.

I was skeptical of the acting at first, but the main girl in particular blew me away. Even the side characters did well in their roles. But the main girl, Sarah, played every part of her conflicting sweet persona and murderous lunatic personalities perfectly. Her descent was a painful thing to watch, partially because of pace issues, but also because I could almost feel her dying, feel her insides rotting out. And of course, all of the side characters died very well.

The story started with more cringe-worthy moments than actual gore. But plenty of blood is to be had at the end. The sounds when Sarah is ripping out her hair, her peeling her own fingernail off, puking up a tub full of maggots from inside her; all well executed elements that will poke at your gag reflex. And then finally, in the last 25 or so minutes of the movie, my gore whore needs were satisfied and murderous ambition brought buckets of blood. Starting out calmly with a slice to the face, moving onto smashing a skull in with a dumbbell, and ending with one of the bloodiest kisses ever. And of course there are plenty of stabs in between, on the verge of like 15. Made everything worth it in my opinion.

Some cool shots in this one. One scene in particular more in the beginning of the movie. The shots of the flashing camera light while Sarah first shows her primal self in the dark. Excellent scene, probably one of the best if you ignore the awesome kill shots. Although I gave this film a particularly high rating despite its flaws, I still think it's only a one time watch for me. Enjoyed it the first time when there was enough suspense to keep me interested, don't know if I would last waiting until the end another time.

Recommended by woodenheart

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
Train to Busan / (Korean) Busanhaeng 부산행 (2016)
Director: Yeon Sang-ho
Initial release: July 22, 2016
Watched: February 04, 2017

Acting: 10 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10
Cinematography: 10 / 10
Overall: 9 / 10

This movie has proven that the only reason I've hated zombie movies my entire life was because they were American. Pretty much every zombie movie I have ever seen was boring as shit, the gore wasn't even satisfying, and I couldn't give two shits about the characters. This movie, however, has shown me the light. It didn't take long to get into the action, and it kept a consistent flow of zombie gore and action throughout the film. Even the pacing in between the deaths of the important characters felt right. Nothing was rushed, nothing was forced. It was almost perfect. I have to point out the one scene in the beginning, when the first zombie was attacking the woman working on the train, and how realistic the reactions of the bystanders were, how they just watched in confusion and didn't know what to do, instead of immediately jumping to her aid like they all had a hero inside them. And of course, it shouldn't have been a surprise, but when they start going through the train cars fighting the zombies, it had that goofy about to kick ass vibe, which wasn't that bad and was placed just right in the movie's flow to wake pump you up. Even the end, with who survived, and the death of the last important character, everything flowed. Including my almost tears. A scene in this film that got me in my feels was during the sequence of going through the train cars, when they reached the car with all the teenagers friends, and the dad and the protective husband knew that the teenager wouldn't be able to help fight them because even though they were zombies they were still his friends. So many elements of the story and scenes made my heart ache.

I can't express enough how much this film made you connect with the characters. Like I actually cared who survived and felt aching when they would die. The dad's character development throughout was very emotional. Just watching the relationship between him and his daughter was heart wrenching. When she told him that he didn't care about anyone but himself, I just died. The daughter was so young yet she was amazing for the whole film! Ever so often she would say a line that would just rip your heart out. The pregnant lady and her protective husband were amazing characters! Very important to the character development of the father. The teenager and his crush were surprisingly important as well. I thought they would have been that unneeded romance couple to try to pull at your heart strings, but they were so much more than that. And to make this film even better, they hit me at my sweet spot with the two old ladies that were sisters. I think their deaths hurt me the most. And this is my chance to say FUCK YOU to that rich guy, horrible man, he deserved a more gruesome death I hated him so much.

Usually zombie gore is very boring to me but I loved this movie so much I didn't mind it. I love the opening scene with the deer, very eerie. I liked the cracking sounds of the bones or joints or whatever was breaking when the zombies would move. I noticed in a couple scenes they had the zombies running over each other and piling on top of one another, reminded me of the piles of zombies in World War Z (which I will never try to compare in quality because it sucked ass) and for some reason I always found that disturbing.

The movie had a couple shots worthy of mention. First with the opening scene, the shot from the ground that slowly led away from the van and panned to the deer. Also, when the action first started when the zombies started taking over the back of the train, I'm bad at describing it, but the shot right in front of the male zombie that was super close up while he was hobbling forward through the aisle. Some of the angles used in other scenes were very supporting to the vibe of the film as well. The suspense, if you would call it that, definitely kept you interested until the end. It was a perfect mixture of action and almost tears. Fucking Koreans, well done.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Circus of the Dead (2014)
Director: Billy Pon
Initial release: May 2, 2014
Watched: April 30, 2017

Plot: 9 / 10
Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 10 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 8.5 / 10

The plot was actually amazing so to start off this is going to be a very positive review for this one. This is the first clown movie that I actually enjoyed so that helps in why I gave it such a high rating. The plot moved smoothly and actually surprised me at how often kills were put in, it was a lot but not too much so it changed the rhythm of the movie but not in a bad way. The end was perfect too, going to spoil that real quick. La muerte. Perfect.

Okay not all the actors were great so this was the only part in which the film was lacking. Most of the people that they killed were pretty good. The clowns were really good, special mention to Papa Corn of course. The wife really bugged me for some reason in some of her scenes but she wasn't bad in others, especially when she started talking less and taking off more. Like the beginning scene when shes talking to her kids is a little awkward but she's fine the rest of the time. I love her character as a cheating wife instead of a "innocent"
"good" wife that they portrayed her as in the beginning. It saved it from being boring and cliche character to kill. When Don, the dad, started out I wasn't sure if his character was going to be boring to follow but the actor did well and the clowns involved him a lot in their antics. The kids were alright but not in the movie much.

The gore was amazing. The exploitation aspect of it wasn't over the top either it was realistic so it worked. I also like how it didn't necessarily increase in violence or intensity as the film moved along but the random tame scenes that led to other crazy scenes made it more unexpected and at greater shock? Plenty of blood and I love the clowns laughing during every kill and it wasn't corny. I loved the idea of the cards so much. I mention again, la muerte.

The camera was great quality and the shots were great. Nothing too special about the style but seemed very professional. Yeah, not much to comment on the style of filming this time but overall, would watch many times again. Not often, or ever, does a clown flick make it to my stack.

Overall: 8.5 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Stabbed in the Face (2004)
Director: Jason Matherne
Initial release: 2004
Watched: May 13, 2017

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 5 / 10

I have to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed this little movie even though the score is not high. It's low budget and definitely amateur film making at its finest. I tend to love B-rated type slashers just because I like slashers in general. I definitely take into consideration the low budget and amateur actors when deciding how much I like a film. And I feel like the crew of this enjoyably shitty but not so shitty movie worked with what they had. As for the plot, very basic. The only reason it has a higher score than what its worth is because I got a major vibe of "small town activities". Its not like the teens lived in a lively city or classic suburban town and wanted to try something "new" or "crazy". The teens probably live in a small town where there is literally nothing better to do. I feel like it made the stereotypical plot a little less stereotypical. For the most part, the pacing of when to throw in a kill or some nudity was pretty well done. It was enough to keep you interested.

The most obviously lack in quality for this movie was the acting. Mentioning again, I do take into consideration that these are 100% amateur actors. It helps to not see them as shitty as they are. And although most were pretty bad while living, their deaths were pretty well done. I actually loved how awkward the first party scene is. The teens sitting around bored, the horny dudes trying to get some, the band playing live in the background. It was a good opening scene. The most annoying bitch in the film was the pussy boy's girlfriend that drank too much. Her best scene in my opinion was her death scene of course. Her hovering the toilet leading up to her getting killed was one of my favorite scenes.

The blood was excellent. I have to give special mention to the quality of the blood in this film. The color was great and some death scenes had plenty of it. The nudity was well placed. I don't know what it is about low quality film nudity with unshaven natural ladies that I love so much. Unlike most movies today when all the girls have big tits and hairless bodies. I almost feel like the girls with bush are almost a tribute to the older years of not only horror but film in general, before everyone was obsessed with being hairless. So the first naked chick's scene where she is running through the house, after the man she was fucking was killed, would have to be one of my favorite scenes as well.

Nothing too special about the style of filming. The lighting was well done for even the outside scenes in the middle of the night. Some mainstream movies today have issues with scenes being too dark so I applaud the clarity of their night scenes. I really like the shot of the girl in her underwear tied to a tree, don't ask me why. Overall, even though the score for this film isn't particularly high, I would definitely re-watch and recommend to anyone that enjoys low budget B-rated horror films.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Oldboy / (Korean) Oldeuboi 올드보이 (2003)
Director: Park Chan-wook
Initial release: March 25, 2005
Watched: July 01, 2017

Plot: 10 / 10
Overall: 8.75 / 10

I actually started watching this film a couple days ago and lost focus but decided to return to it with my full attention. I am so glad I did. This film isn't exactly disturbing when it comes to the violence shown but definitely accomplishes it with its plot. It starts rather slow when he is kidnapped and imprisoned. I think that's why I lost focus my first viewing, but after the 15 years when he is released it really gets interesting. I love how the plot tricks you into thinking the point of the movie is supposed to be about why he was imprisoned, which don't get me wrong is a huge part of the plot as well. But as it was revealed to Dae-Su, the main character (imprisoned man), it is also revealed to the viewers that the real plot is finding out why he was released when he was, 15 years later. Finding out either one is enough to keep you watching, because what reason could someone possibly have to keep someone imprisoned for 15 years just to let him go?? Honestly, if they had stopped at why he was imprisoned, it would not have been a great film, it would not have been enough to satisfy. Even after you find out about the death of the girl that inspired the kidnapping, the bomb dropped at the end is what really leaves you wide-eyed. I couldn't possibly spoil that, so please do give this a watch.

Koreans really do it right. I will always favor Asian actors and their ability to fully sink into a role. The man that plays Dae-Su is absolutely amazing, especially in the scene when he realizes why he was released. The young girl he meets when he is released is alright compared to everyone else, but she has her moments as well. No other special mentions really.

There was not much violence/blood until Dae-Su begs Woo-jin Lee, the man responsible for his imprisonment, to not let the young girl know why he was released. He literally get down on all fours, starts barking like a dog, "wagging his tail", and even goes so far as to lick his shoes. He then proceeds to cut off his own tongue, knowing full well that it was the reason this all had happened to him. There was multiple scenes of slight nudity, but nothing raunchy.

There was nothing too special about the way this film was shot other than a lot of the scenes weren't basic shots. Nothing overly creative, but the decision to use a shot from above or a closeup instead of boring wide or two shot was what gave this such a high rating. Overall I would recommend this film. Just make sure you pay attention so when the end hits you, it really hits you.

Overall: 8.75 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
The Wailing / (Korean) Gokseong 곡성 (2016)
Director: Na Hong-jin
Initial release: May 12, 2016
Watched: August 22, 2017

Acting: 10 / 10
Gore: 10 / 10
Overall: 10 / 10

FUCKING KOREANS. So I'm still on my Korean horror kick, and I have to say this film defied my expectations. I watched the trailer and wanted to find it and watch it first before I bought it, because I was unsure if it would have been worth it. Luckily, I found it on Netflix (they must have just added it) and prepared myself for this 3 hour film. The basic story in the beginning seemed centered around mysterious murders caused by an outbreak of a skin rash and rabid, violent behavior. Each household massacre was the result of one family member murdering the rest. The main character, a local policeman, suspects it started when a strange Japanese man arrived in their village. Ideas are tossed around as the body count grows, and it gets instantly more intense when the policeman's own daughter has contracted the rash. With the help of a shaman, it is revealed that the murders and rabid behavior is due to a powerful ghost/demon. I'm usually not one for possession movies, but that's probably because they were all American. This film captivated another level of disturbing. This is another film I don't want to spoil the ending for. But I will say this, I didn't know who to believe until it was too late. The suspense was well kept and the end left me with my head in my hands. It's well worth the 3 hours. There was also an interesting way to look at possession that American movies seem to avoid. Usually American possession targets the weakest link or easiest person to possess, making the demon's power instantly challengeable. The shaman used an interesting metaphor of casting a line when fishing, you don't know which one its going to hook, you just hope it hooks on to one. In this case, the daughter. Almost like not having a motive for murder, it can happen to anyone, no matter how strong you think you are.

The characters and acting was phenomenal. I noticed a man from Train to Busan (2016), and a woman from The Piper (2015). The main character, dad and policeman, added humor in the beginning to absolutely shock and depression in the end. The daughter was SO GOOD. I've noticed that Korean child actors are on a whole different spectrum of great acting. She had to have had the best acting in this film.

Plenty of blood, nothing thrown around or splattering before your eyes but you definitely saw the aftermath of it all. I'll have to add the disturbing elements to this section as well. Seeing the giant nest and the secret cave of all the pictures of the people that have died so far just added and element of creepy. When the devil is finally revealed at the end as well I'd have to say the fingers alone gave me the creeps. The hospital patient's violent seizure as well as him coughing up blood was an ominous start of what was to be expected for the rest of the film. There was even a short scene involving a zombie? More like a revived dead body that eventually died on its own again.

The shots were well placed, especially when revealing certain creepy parts. Like the Japanese man crawling over the rock, the shot from under the woman that hung herself, and the devil reveal of the hands first. I was honestly not expecting much from this film and was blown away by the story, creative plot twists and distractions, and emotional pull. I don't know how Korean movies always manage to pull at my soul and make my heart ache. A definite add to my collection, and a recommend for anyone.

Overall: 10 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
The Piper / (Korean) Sonnim 손님 (2015)
Director: Kim Gwang-tae
Initial release: July 09, 2015
Watched: July 07, 2017

Cinematography: 8 / 10

I really love horror that's based on urban legends or folk tales and the like. Naturally I was drawn to this film, even though I was hesitant to watch it based on the goofy looking DVD cover. Turns out once you watch the movie it's revealed that the DVD cover is not as silly as it seems. So with everyone who does not know what this movie is about, a Piper and his son enter this hidden village and help them with their rat problem, they refuse to pay him, and kick him out of the village. Harsh huh? It had a pretty light vibe for parts of the film. Not all scenes with the rats are ominous and dark. Actually, the main scene of them driving out the rats was rather lighthearted and fun? There was even slight humor. But then, it gets dark fast. From jokes and laughter and sunlight, the dark takes over starting with a chopped off hand. It's rather depressing actually, watching the Piper being treated the way he was. It gets ever more depressing when the villagers not only kick them out of the village, but give them poisoned food as well, which only the son ends up eating and dies. The Piper then sets out his revenge (and reveals the DVD cover costume), bringing back the rats which literally eat everyone in the village but the children. The Piper then leads the children to a cave, shown earlier in the film, to die. I always admire a film that's not afraid to kill children, as horrible as that sounds. It just ensures the viewers that nothing is off limits, so be prepared for anything. Of course, if you had heard the tale before watching, this ending was no surprise to you. But it could be somewhat of a shock factor to people who are unfamiliar.

The acting was great, especially Chun Woo-Hee, Mi-sook in the Piper (also spotted her in the Wailing). I think I'll have to look for some other films with her because she is phenomenal and beautiful and incredibly talented.  The dad was good but for some reason kind of bugged me in some scenes. The villagers were good. The chief of the village had evil just seeping out of him. When he finally lets it out in the open, it definitely put a nasty feeling in the stomach. The chief's son was also good. The original shaman (not Mi-sook) was wonderful and had the perfect laugh of insanity.

There was not too much gore even in it's climax. The beginning, as I said, is extremely lighthearted. If slight ominous tones weren't used in the beginning, this film could have easily been mistaken for an upbeat happy story. There really isn't that much in the climax either. The reveal of the original villagers (lepers and their shaman) that were tricked and murdered by the current villagers, was an excellent showcase of disturbing elements. After being trapped in the cave with the only way of survival being cannibalism, the shaman's bloody mouthed laugh was enough to kill all feelings of fun portrayed in the previous parts of the film. The amputated hand was their first real act of violence. The rest of the blood would come from the rats eating the villagers alive, most of them while they slept. The best scene would be the chief being swarmed by the rats of course.

The way certain shots were set up worked for the film. The first view of the village door that had been knocked over was a great set up. The slow zooms really established a mood. The shot from below as the son's spirit left his body. This film was not entirely creative when it came to shots, but the chosen shots worked. The CGI rats kinda throw it off, but they're not too bad. I know this film is rated R, and the thought of rats eating people alive should be gruesome enough, but the movie was pretty tame when it came to execution. May make you uncomfortable, but not at all hard to watch.

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »
Found (2012)
Director: Scott Schirmer
Initial release: July 14, 2012
Watched: October 24, 2017

Gore: 9 / 10
Overall: 9.5 / 10

Okay this blew me away with the quality of how much it just stabs you in the heart. The plot was very interesting, sort of a super fucked up coming of age film about a young boy that finds out his brother kills people. The element of him having similar interests as his older brother worrying if he will become the same was excellent, especially because that wasn't the case. The intro voice over alone was enough to set the mood of this film. Even though they're just kids, the scenes of bullying and insults were sad to watch. Especially the scene when Marty's only friend literally tells him how hard it is to be his friend and how the bullies might be right about how weird he is. This was a surprising personal issue that I instantly connected to, having experienced something similar myself in my younger years. But the best part of the plot had to be the slow decline of the young brother, into behaviors that his older brother approved. It builds you up to think that Marty will turn out the same. Marty's own thoughts worry of this too. But in the final scene when the older brother, Steve, kills their parents, it is revealed that Marty is not and wouldn't have ever been as far gone as his brother. Even though he did start to decline, it sort of goes to show that nurture isn't everything. Marty may have liked the same things and started behaving violently like his murderous older brother, but that's not enough to blame for that degree of sickness.  Loved the snippet of Headless.

Extreme special mention to the talented boy that played Marty. The solemn and saddened 12 year old boy expressed his hardships through the utter emptiness of his voice and slow movements. You didn't need the scene of him being bullied to know that he was an outsider, someone who didn't fit in. He was arguably the best actor in the entire film. The relationship he and the older brother established was amazing as well, and heartbreaking in the end. "I would never hurt you. I'm you're older brother. I let you borrow my movies..". It just kills me how the older brother really thought he was helping him. The brother was good, for the most part. Certain scenes were a little awkward. The parents were whatever, especially the dad. The other side characters were eh as well. Not a perfect score simply for amateur acting, but then again it is an independent film so I won't be too harsh.

The gore was mostly shown in the snippet of Headless that was shown while Marty and his friend were watching movies from Steve's collection. Kind of a cool incorporation to bring attention to a cool little film. The original gore for this story, however, was not as gruesome and graphic, that is if you don't get easily bothered by decapitated heads in bowling bags, including one that belonged to another 12 year old boy. The most talked about scene from this film was definitely the end. When I first heard and read about the ending and how disturbing it would be, I over hyped myself, thinking of all the possible endings, and ruling them out along the way while watching. Thinking I would be disgusted and couldn't wait, I eagerly waited for the ending. The actual ending was not horrible but definitely not expected. Instead of shocking visuals, not counting the full frontal nudity displayed my the older brother, both clean and covered in blood, and not counting seeing a prepubescent boy wearing a ball gag, the ending is actually a slap in the face of pure audio and imaginative brutality. The entire scene of the parents being killed is not shown, but the screams and yelling and choking on blood and everything else that was going on was 100% heard. The sound was enough to make this climax one of the hardest scenes to decide whether you should be sickened, angry, crying, or all of the above.

The shots were well done. Good creative angles. I'm so hyped on how good the story was I can't think of details, just know that the cinematography was as good as the story. The film as a whole was brilliant. New favorite. Going to hunt for Headless now.

Overall: 9.5 / 10

Offline Seikotik

• lawless
  • EHC Moderator
  • Demented
  • destroy/create
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
Some suggestions:

Maniac (1980)

Maniac (2012)

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)

Hunters (2016)

Murder Collection V.1 (2009)

Der Todesking: The Death King (1990)

Murder Set Pieces (2004)

We Are Still Here (2015)

Snuff 102 (2007)

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »

I've seen the first 3, added the rest to my list. Thank you for the suggestions!

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
DIS (2017)
Director: Adrian Corona
Initial release: August 28, 2017
Watched: Novemeber 21, 2017

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 7 / 10
Overall: 7.75 / 10

Came into this film with no knowledge of the mandrake legend. The film does an okay job at explaining it, as it's necessary to understand the plot, but I was a little lost and had to re-watch the explanation, probably just because I didn't fully wrap my head around it at first, not the fault of the filmmaker. I did look up the legend a little further after the film was over, to get a better understanding, because for some reason it still didn't make sense to me. So the legend goes that these mandrakes grow from the dripping fat, blood, and semen of a hanged man. The legend even says it can come in male or female form. I thought that was interesting that the filmmaker decided to do the opening scene with a female, and then carry on the plot with a male lead. Possibly to show both possibilities? Correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of the filler plot in the middle, besides the part of the flashback where the legend was explained, was sort of dragged on in terms of moving the plot, but didn't drag out the film considering its barely an hour long. It didn't bother me because the entire film, every shot and every angle, was just beautiful. When you get to the climax, it sadly is a little short, but the lighting and tone are enough to set the mood.

Acting was wonderful, coming from the main character. The facial expression, the breathing, the disgusting feeling he gives you. The man that explained the legend did well too, but there were sound issues when it came to his dialogue that sort of made his speaking a little awkward. One scene in particular, his ending dialogue was so much louder than anything else that had happened in the scene and it was really noticeable. The girl in the beginning didn't have too much focus, but I liked her as well.

This category was tricky to judge. There is plenty of nudity, and sexual actions are 100% shown, but a lot of the actual violence is implied angles, meaning they didn't show impact, probably because of low budget which is understandable. The scenes with the ax in particular I wish were a little more bloody. The best scene for this film had to be the climax. The man is hung, tied with his arms and legs spread in a metal circle, much reminding me of the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci. The fire flickering in the dark as he hung completely exposed. The forced hand job to collect his semen before he was hung, before the removal of his genitals in the final climax scene, who's blood would later feed the garden. Excellent ending.

They must have used an excellent camera or the cinematographer is just that good. It seemed the entire film was HD and it worked for the most part. Usually underground films, especially of this genre, tend to be grainy and obviously low budget, sometimes because that's all the filmmaker had to work with, and sometimes on purpose for style. But this film is just beautifully shot from start to finish, and had really good use of locations and interesting inserts. Fun little watch with high quality editing.

Overall: 7.75 / 10

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
    • Reviews
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
The King of Pigs / (Korean) Dwae-ji-ui wang 돼지의 왕 (2011)
Director: Yeon Sang-ho
Initial release: November 3, 2011
Watched: November 26, 2017

So the plot followed two men who were friends in middle school as they relived their memories as bullied poor kids, and the kid who stood up for them for a short time. The film starts rather grim, with the suicide of a then unknown character. It also doesn't go long without showcasing its first scene of sexual abuse including children. It was from these first short scenes that I knew this film was about to get super fucked up. Then the character Chul comes in, the kid that stands up for the poor bullied kids. His backstory is quite sad and in my opinion is the focus of the theme of this film. The main separation of the bullies and the bullied is their families wealth and status in society. Chul's father abandoned his mother and him when his business failed, and it is said that the hope was for him to one day return to his family with money. Well that thought is quickly killed when his father ends up being the second suicide of this film. And that's not the last suicide of this incredibly grim story, mind you. But enough spoilers. If you couldn't tell, the storytelling is very dark. This film dives deep into the pressure that money and status in society puts on the individuals of that society, and what it can lead people, even children, to do to try to escape it.

Considering this is an animated movie, I only have voices to go off of for the characters acting, but will also include dialogue in this section. Some conversations between Chul and our main two characters are amazingly written. The concept of what true evil is, is introduced right before you witness two children stabbing a cat to death. "We need to be a monster if you don't want to keep living like a loser." That line heavily influences the two main characters, more so than you will realize until you get to the final scene. As for the voices and such, I'm usually very picky when it comes to what people sound like when they're crying, and they did okay with this film.

There were some scenes with blood, the first main scene being the cat scene. There were several scenes in which the children are fighting with each other, producing black eyes and swollen faces. There are at least 3 different scenes including the sexual abuse of children by their bullies. And then, of course, there are the several scenes including the death and suicide of several characters. Although the actual visualization may not have been that disturbing, the fact that the majority of it included children was what made this a difficult watch for me.

The art style for this anime was unique. It wasn't typical soft faces and big eyes, it was almost unsettling. I can't remember what other animation it reminded me of, but I must have seen it before. I know Yeon Sang-ho has some other animated films with similar if not the same style (I haven't seen them yet), and I will be looking into those as well because his ability to tell a story and have your heart die at the same time is pure talent.