Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

What the Waters Left Behind {2017}
by woodenheart
[Today at 09:50:24 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Today at 08:40:53 AM]
Domiziano Cristopharo
by woodenheart
[Today at 08:15:49 AM]
Flesh of the Void
by woodenheart
[Today at 07:51:04 AM]
Black Mountain Side (2014)
by perturbed
[Yesterday at 11:20:27 PM]
Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder in Hell (2014)
by splat
[Yesterday at 11:02:00 PM]
Short Films From the UNDERGROUND.
by splat
[Yesterday at 10:16:47 PM]
Justice League {2017}
by Riot
[Yesterday at 04:45:02 PM]
Sinistre {1994/2017}
by splat
[May 26, 2017, 08:19:01 AM]
The Oregonian (2011)
by splat
[May 26, 2017, 12:14:34 AM]
American Mummy (2013)
by splat
[May 25, 2017, 05:02:16 PM]
Dheepan (2015)
by Mario
[May 25, 2017, 03:06:56 PM]
The Bizarre Art of Samantha {2018} Adrian Baez
by woodenheart
[May 23, 2017, 04:42:44 PM]
Piety {2017}
by splat
[May 22, 2017, 09:18:27 AM]
Bat Pussy (1973)
by splat
[May 21, 2017, 09:18:59 PM]

Author Topic: The Bad Batch ~ Ana Lily Amirpour  (Read 850 times)

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • When I'm fucked up, that's the real me.
The Bad Batch ~ Ana Lily Amirpour
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
“The Bad Batch” turns a completely ridiculous premise — dystopian warfare in a sun-bleached desert filled with cannibals, a raving cult leader, desperate thieves and LSD — into a warm, at times even elegant salute to the transformative power of companionship.

With “The Bad Batch,” Amirpour pairs elements of “Mad Max” and “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” with western flavor for another beguiling ride. The scale has expanded and there are a few more recognizable faces this time around, but nothing about the movie’s inspired wackiness bears the whiff of compromise.

Nothing in “The Bad Batch” can match its stunning opening scenes, a wordless blend of horror and suspense that establishes its minimalist world of devious outcasts. In the vaguely post-apocalyptic setting, pariahs deemed unworthy of society are exiled to the lawless American desert and forced to fend for their lives. The movie begins with Arlen (British model Suki Waterhouse, stern and anxious) venturing into the orange wasteland, only to become the prey of a local cannibal gang that lives in the midst of an airplane graveyard. Amirpour wastes no time ramping up the intensity: Limps get loped off, blood spurts wildly and the wrenching visceral details of Arlen’s captivity promptly enter “The Texas Chainsaw” territory. But then Arlen finds her way to a desperate escape, strapped to the front of a skateboard, as “The Bad Batch” careens in another intriguing direction.   

Tackling a more prominent role, Keanu Reeves takes on much greater prominence in the film’s uneven final third, as a psychedelically-charged Jim Jones-like spiritual leader who holds court over Comfort from a giant boom box where the town gathers for histrionic raves. Long-haired, mustachioed and hiding behind shades, Reeves drifts into the movie like a dreamlike version of his usual introverted cinematic persona with mixed results. His monologues about supporting the town (specifically “the shit comes out all your little assholes”) have a gimmicky quality out of sync with the more fully realized aspects of the embellished scenario found elsewhere; ditto the cult of pregnant women he keeps like pets in his enclave, who wear t-shirts emblazoned with the blunt slogan “the dream is inside me

In only a handful of scenes without a single line of dialogue, Jim Carrey is virtually unrecognizable as a mute nomad pushing a shopping cart around the desert and shifting allegiances as he watches various dramas from afar. It’s an amusing cameo that turns Carrey into a kind of grungy figure of slapstick.

Without further ado;

“The Bad Batch” premiered at the 2016 Venice Film Festival and will next screen at TIFF. It is currently seeking distribution.

Source;

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/09/jim-carrey-keanu-reeves-the-bad-batch-review-ana-lily-amirpour-1201723430/

Offline splat

• compulsive repulsive
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
Re: The Bad Batch ~ Ana Lily Amirpour
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
Sounds and looks amazing, hell of a promise!

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline Renacimiento

• Tenebra
  • Debauched
  • I meant ... everything.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
I loved her previous film A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, after that I was excited about anything she (the director) could do. It is common, when I enjoy a lot of a movie, I need to know more about its director, who was behind that movie, what other movies she/he did, what are his/her future projects, etc. All this to say that obviously I'm going to see this film as soon as I have the chance.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »