Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

Zombi 3 (1988)
by splat
[Yesterday at 10:28:01 PM]
Cerebral Films
by splat
[Yesterday at 10:25:45 PM]
The Black Gloves (Feature Film) Owlman Supernatural Horror
by woodenheart
[Yesterday at 06:48:03 PM]
OFF{al} (2016)
by splat
[Yesterday at 04:42:06 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by CountOrlok
[April 24, 2017, 11:18:44 PM]
Revolution 666 {2015}
by splat
[April 24, 2017, 07:50:40 PM]
Escape From Cannibal Farm {2017}
by dobermann65
[April 24, 2017, 12:38:58 PM]
Sinistre {1994/2017}
by woodenheart
[April 23, 2017, 07:59:06 PM]
Assist HM&M Films: Blood Moon River
by splat
[April 23, 2017, 06:02:58 PM]
Candy Corn {2018}
by woodenheart
[April 23, 2017, 05:08:34 PM]
I Can See You {2008}
by splat
[April 23, 2017, 09:51:11 AM]
Last documentary that you watched
by splat
[April 23, 2017, 09:43:13 AM]
Joe Stauffer ~ An Independent Masterpiece
by woodenheart
[April 23, 2017, 05:13:41 AM]
The Evil Within {2017}
by Renacimiento
[April 23, 2017, 04:35:13 AM]
Phantasmagoria {2017}
by woodenheart
[April 22, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

Author Topic: Don't Go in the House (1979)  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Mario

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Twisted
Don't Go in the House (1979)
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

Donny (Dan Grimaldi) is a deeply disturbed young man who lives with his cruel elderly mother. She emotionally and physically abused him when he was little and he bears scars on his arms from burns inflicted by her as whenever he did something she saw as "wicked" she would hold his bare arms over a gas stove in an effort to "burn the evil out of him". Because of this, Donny has developed an obsession with fire and human combustion. When she dies he goes mad because while Donny is free from her evil clutches the only life he has ever known is gone and with it his chance for revenge. He sets out to avenge himself with the aid of a flamethrower, steel chains and a steel-panelled bedroom crematorium that he builds kidnapping young women and burning them to death.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080646/

TRAILER

FULL FILM

I liked this one. It's a very dark, gritty, and disturbing movie with the same vibe as Maniac. The scene with the nude woman being torched alive is one of the most shocking, graphic scenes I can remember seeing.

Offline Sek'Tal Alcyone

• Demented
Re: Don't Go in the House (1979)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
Yup, it's a good one. Unfairly dismissed as a cheap Psycho rip off by some. Full movie is on youtube for those that don't know.

Offline JackT

• Demented
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
This looks absolutely disgusting. Think I have to see it.

Offline splat

• compulsive repulsive
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
I just bought this in Melbourne on my last visit as I felt it was worthy for my Horror Library...so I naturally recommend this one.

Offline RIP

• Depraved
  • King of cheesy horror movies
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
I have this on bluray and it was a pretty enjoyable film. I give it a 6.5/10 rating.
"a chill runs up your spine til you scream" = The Misfits

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »
I edited Mario's opening post inserting a synopsis, trailer and the full film. Of course, his thoughts on the movie are still there. I hope he doesn't mind.

Here's a short review I wrote...

Directed by Joseph Ellison ‘Don’t Go in the House’ is a variation on the story of Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘Psycho’ (1960) and has very similar ideas to William Lustig’s ‘Maniac’ (1980) although Ellison’s film debuted a full six months before and both movies were more likely in production around about the same time. It is also infamous for being one of Britain's video nasties but wasn't prosecuted making the DPP Dropped 33 list.   

This is a very melancholic and deeply disturbing documentation of the repercussions of child abuse. Grimaldi is excellent in his portrayal of a sad lonely soul a failure at life who never had a chance from the beginning due to the wickedness of his awful mother. Although there is no way a viewer can identify with a screen killer like this, as he’s not portrayed as an anti-hero with the emphasis on realism it’s hard not to sympathize with the character despite the evil acts he commits. The film slowly builds to its main set-piece a shockingly brutal burning of Donny’s first victim that is brilliantly executed in its realism and will stay with you long after. Ellison skilfully only shows one graphic depiction with Donny’s other two victims only seen in the aftermath of their demises; we’ve already seen it once and don’t need to see it again as you know what happens as that scene’s immense effect is so harrowing you will not soon forget it. The director instead chooses sombre mood, cold atmosphere and the startling grisly imagery of Donny’s dead mother and the burnt to a crisp corpses of his victims that he keeps in his house coming back to life in his mind.

‘Don’t Go in the House’ is a dark, grimy, gritty and grim affair that although can be heavily compared to the original ‘Maniac’ is arguably the better film as it does not fall into the usual illogical slasher trappings that Lustig’s work occasionally does.

*** out of ****       

Offline Cyphers

• Twisted
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
I edited Mario's opening post inserting a synopsis, trailer and the full film. Of course, his thoughts on the movie are still there. I hope he doesn't mind.

Here's a short review I wrote...

Directed by Joseph Ellison ‘Don’t Go in the House’ is a variation on the story of Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘Psycho’ (1960) and has very similar ideas to William Lustig’s ‘Maniac’ (1980) although Ellison’s film debuted a full six months before and both movies were more likely in production around about the same time. It is also infamous for being one of Britain's video nasties but wasn't prosecuted making the DPP Dropped 33 list.   

This is a very melancholic and deeply disturbing documentation of the repercussions of child abuse. Grimaldi is excellent in his portrayal of a sad lonely soul a failure at life who never had a chance from the beginning due to the wickedness of his awful mother. Although there is no way a viewer can identify with a screen killer like this, as he’s not portrayed as an anti-hero with the emphasis on realism it’s hard not to sympathize with the character despite the evil acts he commits. The film slowly builds to its main set-piece a shockingly brutal burning of Donny’s first victim that is brilliantly executed in its realism and will stay with you long after. Ellison skilfully only shows one graphic depiction with Donny’s other two victims only seen in the aftermath of their demises; we’ve already seen it once and don’t need to see it again as you know what happens as that scene’s immense effect is so harrowing you will not soon forget it. The director instead chooses sombre mood, cold atmosphere and the startling grisly imagery of Donny’s dead mother and the burnt to a crisp corpses of his victims that he keeps in his house coming back to life in his mind.

‘Don’t Go in the House’ is a dark, grimy, gritty and grim affair that although can be heavily compared to the original ‘Maniac’ is arguably the better film as it does not fall into the usual illogical slasher trappings that Lustig’s work occasionally does.

*** out of ****     

Excellent mini review! I completely agree with your review. Although I didn't this see for the first time until the early to mid 80's its one of my earliest memories of the horror genre. I believe I rented this a dozen times or more then much to the frustration of my parents who thought it was silly I would do that along with many other horrors and I should be watching Disney kiddie shit more. Thankfully they accepted my insistence on renting so many of the same movies over and over again(even the their wallets were emptied quicker)and my love for horror no much longer after seeing this...Although my grandmother never looked at me the same way again and thought I was going to turn into a psycho klepto...as the were mysterious fires happening in my hood at the time. It wasn't me but everyone in my hood knew the fucker that did it but never said anything. Thankfully no lives were taken!!

Any way love this movie