Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

magGot Films...{films that kill}
by splat
[Today at 11:04:43 AM]
Bestialita (aka Dog Lay Afternoon) (1976)
by splat
[Today at 03:23:44 AM]
Bonehill Road {2017}
by splat
[Today at 03:16:54 AM]
Another Evil Night ~ A Jason Harlow Film
by splat
[Today at 03:02:57 AM]
Clowntergeist {2017}
by splat
[Today at 02:56:20 AM]
Videodrome (1983)
by splat
[Today at 02:28:45 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Yesterday at 05:25:07 PM]
BLOOD HUNT
by dobermann65
[September 22, 2017, 04:45:46 AM]
Last documentary that you watched
by CountOrlok
[September 19, 2017, 07:08:07 PM]
The Devil's Candy {2015} 2017 VOD
by splat
[September 19, 2017, 06:17:54 PM]
Made Me Do It {2017}
by woodenheart
[September 17, 2017, 08:53:02 AM]
Leatherface {Prequel} Bustillo & Maury
by woodenheart
[September 16, 2017, 08:04:52 PM]
13 Dolls in Darkness {2017}
by woodenheart
[September 16, 2017, 11:09:02 AM]
House of Blood {2013}
by splat
[September 16, 2017, 10:45:24 AM]
The Bad Man (2016)
by splat
[September 16, 2017, 10:36:43 AM]

Author Topic: ~ The Giallo Discussion Thread ~  (Read 10738 times)

Offline Renacimiento

• Tenebra
  • Debauched
  • Tu Fui, Ego Eris ~
~ The Giallo Discussion Thread ~
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

This is a small introduction to the giallo. A welcome for everyone to discuss, talk and share suggestions and stuff. Without going into detail about the etymological origin of the word giallo, a few small words are important to become familiar with this style. The giallo as cinematic expression does not pigeonholed into a single genre, but it tends to cover different genres like detective fiction, gothic horror, drama, among others.

It is generally recognized to the film "La Ragazza che Sapeva Troppo" (1963)(The Evil Eye), directed by Mario Bava, as the first giallo film, until "Sei donne per l'assassino" (1964) ( Blood and Black Lace), this one, already populated of all elements (the murderer black dressed and unrecognizable, a staggering ferocity of the numerous crimes, the overwhelming narrative outcome) which then would constitute the gender structures.

But it was "L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo" (1970) ( The Bird with the Crystal Plumage), the debut of young director Dario Argento, the film that not only would define several of constants of the genre, but also would be responsible for popularizing it, causing that a series of directors will attempt to emulate the success of the film. In a few years appeared a formidable number of films, many of which would become objects of worship.

The plots of the giallo revolve around a series of murders, which usually are portrayed in a pretty graphic way, its plots are full of traps, of plot twists, of a use of the camera to show the position of the murderer without get to know his identity, his clothes (raincoats, gloves, mask, hat ...) and his imbalanced psychology, sadism and eroticism are present and a special taste for gimmicky crimes, and especially stylish in its execution.

Other giallos (Note: This list is not complete by any means, nor is it intended to be):

- Blood and Black Lace (1964).
- A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) from director Lucio Fulci.
- Blade of the Ripper (1971), from Sergio Martino.
- Knife of Ice (1972) from Umberto Lenzi.
- All the Colors of the Dark (1972) from Sergio Martino.
- The Iguana With a Tongue of Fire (1971).
- Tropic of Cancer (1972).
- The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (1971).
- Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971).
- The Fifth Cord (1971).
- What Have They Done to Solange? (1972).
- The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972).
- Seven Blood Stained Orchids (1972).
- Donīt Torture a Duckling (1972).
- Deep Red (1975).
- The House With Laughing Windows (1976).
- The Psychic (1977).
- Tenebre (1982).
- Torso (1973).

In short, this is a starting point, the place to talk about what are your favorite and which are not, to get recommendations, to exchange views.

Yggdrasil

Re: ~ The Giallo Discussion Thread ~
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:20:33 AM »
Torso is probably my favorite giallo, but I also love Tenebre, Deep Red, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage and The New York Ripper.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • Deadbeat posting at Dawn
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
Tenebre is my favorite, 10/10. Then there is Sleepless. <3

Offline splat

• mentalheadtrauma
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
TENEBRAE...I have the tee... and TORSO are the ones that came straight to mind. Even though not perfect by any means THE NEW YORK RIPPER holds an appeal to me as well.

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »
Torso is probably my favorite giallo, but I also love Tenebre, Deep Red, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage and The New York Ripper.

I hate 'The New York Ripper' with a passion. It's an odious piece of shit. The rest of these films you mentioned are excellent.

Great Lucio Fulci giallo movies are 'A Lizard in a Woman's Skin', 'Perversion Story' and 'Don't Torture a Duckling' (his best film). With the exception of TNYR, Fulci was a better gialli filmmaker than he was a director of outright horror movies.

'The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh' is also great directed by Sergio Martino who made 'Torso'.

EDIT: I really want to see Martino's 'Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key' (1972)...

The full film has been uploaded to Youtube.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
Dave, high motherfuckin' five!!.....I too can't stand New York Ripper....I tried and tried but fuck that film..

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
Dave, high motherfuckin' five!!.....I too can't stand New York Ripper....I tried and tried but fuck that film..

It's just a very bad piece of filmmaking. The only positive thing I have to say about it is that Lucio Fulci is at his most sadistic with the murder set-pieces, which are well-executed. Other than that, it's just trash.

Offline splat

• mentalheadtrauma
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:18 AM »

It's just a very bad piece of filmmaking. The only positive thing I have to say about it is that Lucio Fulci is at his most sadistic with the murder set-pieces, which are well-executed. Other than that, it's just trash.

Now that you mention it I think that is what grabs me about the film as well, the kills.

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:22:53 AM »

Now that you mention it I think that is what grabs me about the film as well, the kills.

The kills are great. It's just everything else about it is abysmal.

Offline splat

• mentalheadtrauma
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:05 AM »

I couldn't resist.

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »
:straightface:

Offline splat

• mentalheadtrauma
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »

Offline sethdlh

• Twisted
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
I watched Phantom Of Death last night from Ruggero Deodato. Far from perfect but worth checking out if you're looking to expand beyond the better known titles. I reviewed it at my blog if you want a more in depth word on it before checking it out - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/2013/02/phantom-of-death-1988_8112.html

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
I watched Phantom Of Death last night from Ruggero Deodato. Far from perfect but worth checking out if you're looking to expand beyond the better known titles. I reviewed it at my blog if you want a more in depth word on it before checking it out - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/2013/02/phantom-of-death-1988_8112.html

Good review.

I've been wanting to see this for ages. I might have to get a copy soon from Cinemageddon.

Offline sethdlh

• Twisted
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »

Good review.

I've been wanting to see this for ages. I might have to get a copy soon from Cinemageddon.

Thanks, my friend. I would definitely recommend it for the next free leech session.