Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

mentalheadtraumafilms
by splat
[Yesterday at 10:38:17 PM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Mr. Awesome
[Yesterday at 09:44:37 PM]
Someone Down There Likes Me (2009)
by splat
[Yesterday at 09:11:55 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Yesterday at 07:47:01 AM]
Difficulty Breathing {2017} 2018 Release
by Mayvmi
[Yesterday at 02:21:05 AM]
Lady Krampus {2016}
by splat
[November 23, 2017, 08:31:03 PM]
Mouth To Mouth (2005)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:18:36 PM]
The Man With Two Brains (1983)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:10:15 PM]
The President's Last Bang (2005)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:05:03 PM]
The Strangers: Prey At Night (2018)
by splat
[November 21, 2017, 10:22:00 PM]
Withdrawal (2017) - Short Film - Mayvmi Films
by splat
[November 21, 2017, 09:57:50 PM]
The Bad Man (2016)
by woodenheart
[November 21, 2017, 07:33:03 PM]
Blade of the Immortal {2017}
by Seikotik
[November 21, 2017, 04:46:35 PM]
BRUTAL. A Japanese Extreme Violent Romance Film
by Mayvmi
[November 21, 2017, 04:25:53 PM]
black lava entertainment
by woodenheart
[November 20, 2017, 06:03:02 PM]

Author Topic: Evil Dead (2013)  (Read 31700 times)

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
Re: The Evil Dead (2013) 'Reboot'
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »

She's pretty realistic in how a junkie behaves. I've known a few and they quite often deny help and act like they're better off/ungrateful. It's not because they're selfish, or at least not always. It's because it's fucking embarrassing. No one likes to be taken to interventions, even if deep down they know they really need the help. And more often than not, being a drug riddled mess of a junkie changes one drastically from their normal behavior. I doubt she was very "selfish" when she was being herself.

Yeah that maybe but I think the problem is is that there's little backstory to her plight and she is just presented to us in this way with a little ineffectual exposition from the other characters and I just couldn't feel any sympathy towards her because of this. It's like this Hong Kong Cat III film I watched for the first time recently called 'Human Pork Chop' that I wrote a piece on. One of the main issues I had with the movie in which its central character is a junkie prostitute who is inhumanly tortured was that there's no backstory. She is just portrayed as annoyingly obnoxious, rude and lazy and when she becomes the victim it is just about seeing what is done to her rather than being right there alongside her during her horrific plight. I didn't feel anything for Mia either.

Anyway though, 'Evil Dead' '13 really didn't need any of this. As I said before, less is more and the original 'The Evil Dead' was all the better for it. A group of likable young kids are in the isolated location of a cabin in the woods for a weekend getaway when demonic shit happens. It was made as an experience and the writer's of this new version should have taken note of this.   

But that's exactly what made it vague as to whether or not it was a sequel or not, which I liked and thought was quite new. They didn't need to remake The Evil Dead really, so I like that it was interpretable as a sort of pseudo sequel if you want to see it that way. And even if it wasn't, then it was an enjoyable shoot off on it's own. Unnecessary yes, but enjoyable.

I just don't buy it. The filmmakers were very explicit about it being a remake when the project was originally announced way back when there was huge fan backlash and work on it came to a halt because of it. Everybody thought it wasn't going to happen anymore then after a good long while, it was going ahead again but they said it was more of a reboot now than a remake. There's nothing at all in the movie that nods towards a reboot other than the forced Bruce Campbell cameo after the credits to show some loose connection to the original continuity. Either way it's just boring, dull and unnecessary film.

No.. That's just fucking stupid.

No it isn't it's feasible and more likely right. You're stupid.

They said all along it was a reboot, cameo aside.

They said all along this is a DIFFERENT universe.

They've not once called it a remake, because, it isn't. Just like F13 isn't a remake.

It's just what they said to make the movie more marketable as the term "reboot" is the in thing now for gullible trendy teenybopper mainstream horror cunts... you know, such as yourself.

Only fucking idiots call it a remake, idiots who are butthurt over it.

No. Only smart people who see past the corporate bullshit call it what it is - a remake! As I said though, it doesn't matter what it is because either way it's just very bad filmmaking. And who's butthurt? Certainly not me as I couldn't give a shit. The only butthurt cunt I see here is you whining like the bitch that you are you despicable Rolf Harris apologist.

:P ;)

Offline Cryptus

• Misfortune Maker
  • Twisted
  • Thirst for sleep. Quenched with blood.
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
Yeah that maybe but I think the problem is is that there's little backstory to her plight and she is just presented to us in this way with a little ineffectual exposition from the other characters and I just couldn't feel any sympathy towards her because of this. It's like this Hong Kong Cat III film I watched for the first time recently called 'Human Pork Chop' that I wrote a piece on. One of the main issues I had with the movie in which its central character is a junkie prostitute who is inhumanly tortured was that there's no backstory. She is just portrayed as annoyingly obnoxious, rude and lazy and when she becomes the victim it is just about seeing what is done to her rather than being right there alongside her during her horrific plight. I didn't feel anything for Mia either.

Anyway though, 'Evil Dead' '13 really didn't need any of this. As I said before, less is more and the original 'The Evil Dead' was all the better for it. A group of likable young kids are in the isolated location of a cabin in the woods for a weekend getaway when demonic shit happens. It was made as an experience and the writer's of this new version should have taken note of this.   

I just don't buy it. The filmmakers were very explicit about it being a remake when the project was originally announced way back when there was huge fan backlash and work on it came to a halt because of it. Everybody thought it wasn't going to happen anymore then after a good long while, it was going ahead again but they said it was more of a reboot now than a remake. There's nothing at all in the movie that nods towards a reboot other than the forced Bruce Campbell cameo after the credits to show some loose connection to the original continuity. Either way it's just boring, dull and unnecessary film.

No it isn't it's feasible and more likely right. You're stupid.

It's just what they said to make the movie more marketable as the term "reboot" is the in thing now for gullible trendy teenybopper mainstream horror cunts... you know, such as yourself.

No. Only smart people who see past the corporate bullshit call it what it is - a remake! As I said though, it doesn't matter what it is because either way it's just very bad filmmaking. And who's butthurt? Certainly not me as I couldn't give a shit. The only butthurt cunt I see here is you whining like the bitch that you are you despicable Rolf Harris apologist.

:P ;)

If the remake/reboot was going to find a reason to exist in the first place then it kinda did need that little bit of backstory. I'm glad they gave the kids an altogether original reason for being there other than "random dumbshit kids go to cabin then get killed by Jason possessed by demonic evil." Their new little backstory at least set them apart from the mold, regardless of how much you disliked it. We already had kids going into the cabin for no real reason other than to party, and that was the original. The remake already wasn't justified to exist in my opinion, so not doing much to set it apart from the original would have driven that fact home even more so.

And like I said, there was talk of an Ash/Mia team up, and that was enough to imply a a shared universe as well. But still, it's not a set in stone thing. Could very well still be it's own universe. The fact that we're even discussing it pretty much proves that it's up for interpretation. Too vague to point one way or another really.

Extended wings I'm flying
Over the valleys and plains
The curve of space I'm leaving
Death is just an illusion

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »
If the remake/reboot was going to find a reason to exist in the first place then it kinda did need that little bit of backstory. I'm glad they gave the kids an altogether original reason for being there other than "random dumbshit kids go to cabin then get killed by Jason possessed by demonic evil." Their new little backstory at least set them apart from the mold, regardless of how much you disliked it. We already had kids going into the cabin for no real reason other than to party, and that was the original. The remake already wasn't justified to exist in my opinion, so not doing much to set it apart from the original would have driven that fact home even more so.

Yeah but the original film did have a good enough reason for the group of kids to be there as they were there for a weekend getaway. They were there to have fun as kids do and that was all that was needed because as I said the movie was made as "an experience". The new version just pointlessly padded everything out and it didn't add any substantial weight to the story and its emotional depth. Yeah this movie was pointless and no amount of trying to find new reasons for why the group are there was going to fix that problem. It's all just contrived. In my opinion, to do a new version right would be to make another "Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror" in which it preys on our fears as the best horrors ask the question - "what is scary?" And not to just go out of the way to make people vomit through mass amounts of gore. The original was so great because it was so creative with such little resources at the filmmakers’ disposal and this new version had a big fuck off budget and just wanted to gross people out. It's a massive waste of potential.                 

And like I said, there was talk of an Ash/Mia team up, and that was enough to imply a a shared universe as well. But still, it's not a set in stone thing. Could very well still be it's own universe. The fact that we're even discussing it pretty much proves that it's up for interpretation. Too vague to point one way or another really.

I know there was talk of a team up after the film was released. However, without that end of credits cameo with Ash the new version can easily be classed as just a remake. It was the filmmakers' original intention but it would seem due to the huge fan backlash that when the project was resurrected they claimed it to be a reboot instead and they stuck that cameo on at the end as fan bait. If they were confident enough, they would have just come out and said it's a remake and not have put it in. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.     

Offline General Ox

• My world is darker now, than the blackest crow.
  • EHC Moderator
  • Depraved
  • I Trap. I Kill. I Eat.
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »
The original isn't at all scary, and is pretty much just a gross out film in it's own right.

And you're looking into Bruce cameo far too much, as always. I'm pretty damn sure it's just there for shits and giggles, you know, because the team were Evil Dead fans. I don't think it implies anything.

Did you think Scream was going to be A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot when Craven had his cameo as Freddy?

The film is not a remake. Different characters, different reasons, and events.

I class a remake as something that uses the same characters, same events or scenes etc.

Some people just expect too much from Evil Dead I think, I mean yeah, it's a kick ass flick, but it's nothing amazing/mind blowing.

And Dave, I like how you put so much weight on the line 'The Ultimate in Gruelling Terror'. It's just a fucking tagline bro. lol

Freddy's Dead was 'We Saved The Best, For Last'

Go on taking them as fact, though.
A Maestro of Horror. A genre Master. And a legend of the Sliver Screen. Wes Craven 1939 ~ 2015

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
The original made my Foster Mother vomit afterwards  :exciting:

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2014, 05:31:36 AM »
The original isn't at all scary, and is pretty much just a gross out film in it's own right.

It was terrifying in its day. It was released in 1981 so of course it's dated. The reason why people still love it so much is because of its creativity on such a meagre budget with its guerrilla filmmaking techniques. Yeah it has its gross out moments too but that isn't just its main focus of horror which is the new version’s amped up to the max with some cliched jump scares thrown in.   

And you're looking into Bruce cameo far too much, as always. I'm pretty damn sure it's just there for shits and giggles, you know, because the team were Evil Dead fans. I don't think it implies anything.

Did you think Scream was going to be A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot when Craven had his cameo as Freddy?

Yeah that's exactly what I said it's just fan bait as the film is a remake not a reboot. 

The film is not a remake. Different characters, different reasons, and events.

I class a remake as something that uses the same characters, same events or scenes etc.

This new version has the same premise but just sticks in some twists and turns here and there... that are shite! And there are obviously scenes taken from the original. And for example, TCM '03 has completely different characters but that is explicitly a remake and again has some different twists and turns that to an extent work. TCM '03 > ED '13. 

Some people just expect too much from Evil Dead I think, I mean yeah, it's a kick ass flick, but it's nothing amazing/mind blowing.

I answered this with my first reply. 

And Dave, I like how you put so much weight on the line 'The Ultimate in Gruelling Terror'. It's just a fucking tagline bro. lol

Freddy's Dead was 'We Saved The Best, For Last'

Go on taking them as fact, though.

Oh dear. It should be obvious that the reason why I quoted the original film's tagline is because I stated before that "it was made as an experience". Hence, my quote of the tagline "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

You really are a cheese-coated bellend!   

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2015, 06:26:56 AM »
An extended cut aired in the UK recently. Did you catch it, Blood? I know how much you love this masterpiece of modern horror remakes.

Extra shit for an extra shitty movie...

Offline I_Drink_Your_Blood

• Baron Blood
  • Depraved
  • Drinking your blood since '83
Re: Evil Dead (2013)
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »
No thanks - I had enough of this shitty film as it was in its shorter version as it was without adding further torment!  :cantlook:

Offline IrishG3nt

• KIDS LOVE CLOWNS!
  • Debauched
  • I shall have a whiskey and 8 more to follow
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
I cannot stand remakes!!! This one however was not half bad...I still cannot wait for the tv series Ash vs Evil Dead!!  :yay:
I have CanDY!!

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »
I wish they just continued with the adventures of Ash. I hope the new TV series will wash out the bad taste left in my mouth by this turd.

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
Reboot  ;)

Enjoyed this a lot..way more than Army of Darkness, came out of the cinema totally fucked off after THAT!

2013 brought us awesome gifs as well!

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
Yeeessssssss I really enjoyed this one as well, a much needed decent modern day twist to it, unlike most of the remakes/reboots that have come out in the past few years.

Offline JRXTIN

• Twisted
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
Reboot  ;)

Enjoyed this a lot..way more than Army of Darkness, came out of the cinema totally fucked off after THAT!

Well, if you were expecting a straight up horror movie, I can see how you wouldn't have gotten what you went in for, but AoD is still a great movie.  It's one of the all-time most quotable movies ever.  "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun!"  Everybody loves that one.   I hope they'll make a sequel before Bruce Campbell gets too old for Ash to be the main character.