Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

Bonehill Road {2017}
by dobermann65
[Today at 10:47:20 AM]
mentalheadtraumafilms
by dobermann65
[Today at 10:43:04 AM]
Ted Bundy Had A Son
by dobermann65
[Today at 10:39:49 AM]
American Guinea Pig: Song of Solomon
by splat
[Today at 05:14:41 AM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by splat
[Today at 03:37:38 AM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Today at 01:36:49 AM]
The Undertaker {1988} Joe Spinell's Last Movie
by splat
[Yesterday at 09:18:51 PM]
American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice
by splat
[Yesterday at 01:23:29 AM]
Some Animation
by Mr. Awesome
[June 24, 2017, 11:08:20 PM]
Gutterballs 2: Balls Deep | Indiegogo
by JRXTIN
[June 24, 2017, 10:33:35 PM]
Piety {2017}
by splat
[June 23, 2017, 10:54:40 PM]
A Serbian Film Documentary Is Coming!
by Renacimiento
[June 23, 2017, 10:08:31 PM]
Quotes
by IrishG3nt
[June 23, 2017, 06:15:30 AM]
Short Films From the UNDERGROUND.
by woodenheart
[June 22, 2017, 11:28:44 PM]
Yeralti (2012)
by perturbed
[June 22, 2017, 04:32:04 AM]

Author Topic: Mayvmi's List  (Read 19462 times)

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
  • 28:06:42:12
Re: Mayvvmi's List
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2016, 12:08:51 AM »
Baskin (2015)
Director: Can Evrenol
Initial release: December 31, 2015
Watched: October 24, 2016

Plot: 9 / 10
Acting: 9 / 10
Gore: 9 / 10
Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 8.75 / 10

WARNING! Possible spoilers.

This was the first time I have encountered a plot like this. I also had no idea this was a Turkish film until they started talking. And I felt this was a heavy dialogue film in the beginning, almost had a Tarantino vibe with the type of crude humor. I felt like it gave the film more depth because there was stuff to keep you entertained before shit went down. Finally they are on their way to the distress call location, and almost hit a man in the road that causes them to crash their van. After finding the place and exploring, they end up in a part of Hell? I was a bit confused because there were flashback like scenes that made it seem like the hell was all in one of the policeman's mind, but that was diminished at the end of the film. There was plenty that happened in Hell to keep me interested for the entire film, including more effectual dialogue. What made the film even better was the end! This film had one of my favorite type of endings, the loop. I won't give the whole thing away, but I will say that. I will definitely be looking for this film on DVD as soon as possible.

I don't know if I just automatically consider most foreign actors better than American actors when it comes to foreign horror. But I thought the acting was phenomenal. Perfect cries and fear when they were in Hell. Excellent acting in the beginning as well, very casual.

There was plenty of gore and even some exploitation in this film. The bodies of the "damned" we'll call them were bloody and skinny and disturbing. The torture inflicted to each police officer was unique (not the same for every one). The officer that had his eyes gouged out was also forced to rape one the female damned. That was a really strong scene for me considering the conversation they were having in the beginning of the film before they responded to the call. Overall loved the use of both elements in the film, even though I don't usually agree with rape for entertainment.

There was nothing really special that I noticed about the style of filming but the lighting was well done, not too dark in dark places that it was hard to see, everything was clear. Definitely would recommend to people who are into fucked up films!

Overall: 8.75 / 10
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:38:36 AM by Mayvvmi »
💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
Re: Mayvmi's List
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »
American Guinea Pig: Bloodshock (2015)
Director: Marcus Koch
Initial release: January 2016
Watched: December 28, 2016

Gore: 9 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 9 / 10

The plot took a little time to build but once it started going it kept me interested. It's funny because the whole passing of notes in their cells after being tortured kind of reminded me of V for Vendetta (2005). But anyway, even though it started kind of slow, the build up was very worth it in the end! The only thing I didn't understand fully were the scenes during the credits showing the patients killing their family, I could only guess that's why they were chosen? No matter, whether it was random or for reason, the pain they were put through was very interesting to watch. The ending though. As soon as their eyes met I almost felt a fuzzy feeling in my stomach like it was love at first sight. The slow exploring of their bodies building up to them having sex and literally tearing each other apart was the explosive ending the film needed. I honestly don't know why I decided to buy and watch this one first, but I will be buying Bouquet of Guts and Gore as well.

The acting from the two patients were amazing, but the woman was phenomenal. You could really see the pain in her eyes and the slight watering of them. The doctor and orderly were okay, not very important though. The man was believable and I could almost feel the edges of the paper notes scraping against exposed gums, gave me a feeling like cotton was stuffed in my mouth after having teeth removed, very unsettling.

The torture also was a slow build up, starting with beatings and then they finally took out the scalpels. That was the main reason for my calling the film slow. I feel like they teased you in the beginning so you wouldn't think they would go as far as they did later in the film. It made a huge impact, at least for me. One of my favorite moments with the doctor would have to be when he opened up the woman's chest and licked her heart. Just seeing it beat in the open air was captivating. The ending had plenty of blood and shock as well, you will definitely be satisfied by the time its over.

I usually am quite skeptical when it comes to black and white filming because I like seeing the blood red, but I feel like the contrast did wonders for this film. It wasn't grey scale, it was almost completely straight black and white. I felt it helped create that atmosphere for the film. The white almost felt clean like the feeling of a clean operation room, and the black looked like muck enough to make you feel dirty but not too dirty. The ending in color was perfect as well. Satisfied my need for color and made the first color you see, their blood, stand out and really make an impact.

💀

Offline woodenheart

• Shy. Sick. Depraved.
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • When I'm fucked up, that's the real me.
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:28 PM »
Awesome write up..I agree on your rating. Such an amazing film. I think it's time for a re watch.

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
Awesome write up..I agree on your rating. Such an amazing film. I think it's time for a re watch.

Thank you. It was exactly the vibe expected it to be even if the end took me by surprise.
On another note, did you figure out the time for the movie chat tomorrow?
💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976)
Director: Charles B. Pierce
Initial release: December 24, 1976
Watched: January 02, 2017

Plot: 8 / 10
Gore: 3 / 10
Cinematography: 7 / 10
Overall: 6.75 / 10

First things first, I want to inform you that even though this has a sort of low rating, it was still an enjoyable film for me. It was shot as a normal film with some documentary type aspects to it including voice-overs throughout the film including the end and what happened to everyone after the massacre was over. My main interest in watching it until the end was because it was based on a true story. It pretty much followed this "phantom killer" during his terror of a small town in Arkansas. The story was very dialogue heavy, and most of the film was the police and what they planned to do rather than the actual attacks on the victims. There was quite a lot of humor in the dialogue as well, but I felt it made the entire film kind of drag on.

The acting was surprisingly very good. I was expecting corny late reactions and screams but the victims were not bad, if you can ignore the extreme contrast of a relatively quiet film with two scenes of LOUD female screaming. The girl tied to the tree was probably my favorite to watch, even though her death was a little confusing.

I know that certain tricks were used and older horror didn't have the same special effects as movies produced years later, but the kills in this film were so tame. Barely any blood was shown, and all the blood was pretty much after the fact. You never really get to see any actual blows on the victims, but you do see some get shot later. A little disappointing in this area. Still trying to wrap my brain around the trumpet kill, like why??

There was nothing special about the style of filming for this movie but I didn't want to give it any lower for it would give the overall score an even lower average. One comment I have to make though is that they did their lighting well for most of the action happening at night. Sometimes the video quality of older film makes dark scenes hard to see, but that was not the case here. I honestly enjoyed the movie, wouldn't be a top pick to watch again, however.

💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)
Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
Initial release: April 9, 2015
Watched: January 02, 2017

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10
Gore: 7 / 10
Overall: 7 / 10

So I watched this remake, or rather continuation, the same day as the original. I thought the idea for a present day massacre sort of inspired by the movie was interesting, similar in a way to The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011). But once I got to the end of this movie, I thought the reasoning behind the start of the copycat killings was sort of... lame. I get that the future spawn of a victim of the original killer would be upset the victim was sort of forgotten about, but I honestly didn't think it was reason enough and it kind of made the whole movie corny to me all of a sudden. But, it didn't make it complete shit which is why it still received a higher rating than the original. And what's with the boyfriend wannabe Stu Macher being apart of it?? Like were you really that upset with where your life, a successful one I might add, was going that you thought participating in murder would make you more memorable and amazing?? Dumb twist.

The acting was pretty good. Usually when it comes to horror movies, I judge normal acting the same amount I judge their acting when they're dying, sometimes judging them when they're dying more. I was very satisfied with the way all the characters were when they died, the screams and saliva and teary eyes were all well done. Special mention to the two guys that were killed right after they decided they were going to suck each others dicks. Sorry boys. I almost thought that the killer was going to fuck the one tied up with the knife trumpet because he knew that he was gay, instead of sticking to the original and just stabbing him in the back. Thankfully, I was wrong.

This movie made up for the lack of blood in the original. There were some scenes where it looked like an overuse of blood, but of course I didn't care about that. The more blood the better. I think I realized while watching this movie that I especially like when blood and spit are spilling out of the mouth.

Better angles were used in this movie than the original. My confusion with the knife trumpet was finally answered watching this. I didn't fully understand how he was stabbing him in the original, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. But obviously the better camera quality made everything easier to see. This is probably the only remake/continuation movie I would recommend not seeing the original first, it's honestly not needed.

💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
Beyond the Darkness (1979)
Director: Joe D'Amato
Initial release: June 1, 1984
Watched: January 03, 2017

Cinematography: 8 / 10
Overall: 8 / 10

The plot was interesting and sick just reading about it so I had to see what visualization they would make of it. I felt the elements were well put together as in spacing between story and violence. Each character seemed to have an important purpose to the development of the story. Even the jealous housemaid seemed random at first but fit well later on as she helped the husband through the spurts of his madness. I thought the first victim, the hitchhiker, was a funny start. She forced herself into his car when he tried to avoid her, so of course she had to die, pretty much did it to herself. And what kind of weed was she smoking? Bitch knocked out from a few puffs of the ganja.

It amazes me how I'm starting to notice that not all 70s/80s horror has bad/corny acting. All the characters portrayed their characters well, especially the creepiness of the housemaid. I really enjoyed her character.

This film included more violence than I anticipated. I was expecting some stabs and late reactions and implied deaths rather than shown, but I was thankfully mistaken. Even early on in the film, the pulling of the hitchhikers nails was a good start. I only wish there was a bit more blood. I thought the scene of him kissing on the girl who sprained her ankle running while he looked at his wife's dead body in the bed next to them was an important scene. The chunk bit out of her neck was awesome, I love body parts getting bitten (much like in American Psycho 2000, Cape Fear 1991). I enjoyed the hacking of the limbs before throwing them in the bathtub. Good stuff.

Nothing super special about the style of filming, good inserts though. Makes you focus on the right things at the right time. Overall excellent film! Wouldn't mind adding this one to my collection.

Overall: 8 / 10

Recommended by Dave

💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:53 AM »
Starry Eyes (2014)
Director: Kevin Kolsch, Dennis Widmyer
Initial release: November 14, 2014
Watched: January 10, 2017

Plot: 6 / 10
Acting: 8 / 10

Went into this movie without watching the trailer and going off nothing but the Netflix description. Plot sounded kind of silly to me at first and I didn't know how they were going to make that work. Even at the end I still didn't really understand why or how she had to be transformed and was the whole production company in on it and just... what? I spent the first hour of the movie wondering where they were even taking the story line. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the whole thing, it was just a really slow burn. I liked that the main girl was unstable and her breakdowns were really successful at making an impact, but then I would think about the ultimate outcome of the movie, mentioned in the description, and it had me stuck wondering like... okay... but how does this lead to her to her ultimate destination? And then the ending comes and slaps you in the face with buckets of blood and a naked "rebirth", and all of a sudden, everything that had happened before was worth it.

I was skeptical of the acting at first, but the main girl in particular blew me away. Even the side characters did well in their roles. But the main girl, Sarah, played every part of her conflicting sweet persona and murderous lunatic personalities perfectly. Her descent was a painful thing to watch, partially because of pace issues, but also because I could almost feel her dying, feel her insides rotting out. And of course, all of the side characters died very well.

The story started with more cringe-worthy moments than actual gore. But plenty of blood is to be had at the end. The sounds when Sarah is ripping out her hair, her peeling her own fingernail off, puking up a tub full of maggots from inside her; all well executed elements that will poke at your gag reflex. And then finally, in the last 25 or so minutes of the movie, my gore whore needs were satisfied and murderous ambition brought buckets of blood. Starting out calmly with a slice to the face, moving onto smashing a skull in with a dumbbell, and ending with one of the bloodiest kisses ever. And of course there are plenty of stabs in between, on the verge of like 15. Made everything worth it in my opinion.

Some cool shots in this one. One scene in particular more in the beginning of the movie. The shots of the flashing camera light while Sarah first shows her primal self in the dark. Excellent scene, probably one of the best if you ignore the awesome kill shots. Although I gave this film a particularly high rating despite its flaws, I still think it's only a one time watch for me. Enjoyed it the first time when there was enough suspense to keep me interested, don't know if I would last waiting until the end another time.

Recommended by woodenheart
💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
Train to Busan (Korean) (2016)
Director: Yeon Sang-ho
Initial release: July 22, 2016
Watched: February 04, 2017

Acting: 10 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10
Cinematography: 10 / 10

This movie has proven that the only reason I've hated zombie movies my entire life was because they were American. Pretty much every zombie movie I have ever seen was boring as shit, the gore wasn't even satisfying, and I couldn't give two shits about the characters. This movie, however, has shown me the light. It didn't take long to get into the action, and it kept a consistent flow of zombie gore and action throughout the film. Even the pacing in between the deaths of the important characters felt right. Nothing was rushed, nothing was forced. It was almost perfect. I have to point out the one scene in the beginning, when the first zombie was attacking the woman working on the train, and how realistic the reactions of the bystanders were, how they just watched in confusion and didn't know what to do, instead of immediately jumping to her aid like they all had a hero inside them. And of course, it shouldn't have been a surprise, but when they start going through the train cars fighting the zombies, it had that goofy about to kick ass vibe, which wasn't that bad and was placed just right in the movie's flow to wake pump you up. Even the end, with who survived, and the death of the last important character, everything flowed. Including my almost tears. A scene in this film that got me in my feels was during the sequence of going through the train cars, when they reached the car with all the teenagers friends, and the dad and the protective husband knew that the teenager wouldn't be able to help fight them because even though they were zombies they were still his friends. So many elements of the story and scenes made my heart ache.

I can't express enough how much this film made you connect with the characters. Like I actually cared who survived and felt aching when they would die. The dad's character development throughout was very emotional. Just watching the relationship between him and his daughter was heart wrenching. When she told him that he didn't care about anyone but himself, I just died. The daughter was so young yet she was amazing for the whole film! Ever so often she would say a line that would just rip your heart out. The pregnant lady and her protective husband were amazing characters! Very important to the character development of the father. The teenager and his crush were surprisingly important as well. I thought they would have been that unneeded romance couple to try to pull at your heart strings, but they were so much more than that. And to make this film even better, they hit me at my sweet spot with the two old ladies that were sisters. I think their deaths hurt me the most. And this is my chance to say FUCK YOU to that rich guy, horrible man, he deserved a more gruesome death I hated him so much.

Usually zombie gore is very boring to me but I loved this movie so much I didn't mind it. I love the opening scene with the deer, very eerie. I liked the cracking sounds of the bones or joints or whatever was breaking when the zombies would move. I noticed in a couple scenes they had the zombies running over each other and piling on top of one another, reminded me of the piles of zombies in World War Z (which I will never try to compare in quality because it sucked ass) and for some reason I always found that disturbing.

The movie had a couple shots worthy of mention. First with the opening scene, the shot from the ground that slowly led away from the van and panned to the deer. Also, when the action first started when the zombies started taking over the back of the train, I'm bad at describing it, but the shot right in front of the male zombie that was super close up while he was hobbling forward through the aisle. Some of the angles used in other scenes were very supporting to the vibe of the film as well. The suspense, if you would call it that, definitely kept you interested until the end. It was a perfect mixture of action and almost tears. Fucking Koreans, well done.

💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Circus of the Dead (2014)
Director: Billy Pon
Initial release: May 2, 2014
Watched: April 30, 2017

Acting: 6 / 10
Gore: 10 / 10
Cinematography: 9 / 10
Overall: 8.5 / 10

The plot was actually amazing so to start off this is going to be a very positive review for this one. This is the first clown movie that I actually enjoyed so that helps in why I gave it such a high rating. The plot moved smoothly and actually surprised me at how often kills were put in, it was a lot but not too much so it changed the rhythm of the movie but not in a bad way. The end was perfect too, going to spoil that real quick. La muerte. Perfect.

Okay not all the actors were great so this was the only part in which the film was lacking. Most of the people that they killed were pretty good. The clowns were really good, special mention to Papa Corn of course. The wife really bugged me for some reason in some of her scenes but she wasn't bad in others, especially when she started talking less and taking off more. Like the beginning scene when shes talking to her kids is a little awkward but she's fine the rest of the time. I love her character as a cheating wife instead of a "innocent"
"good" wife that they portrayed her as in the beginning. It saved it from being boring and cliche character to kill. When Don, the dad, started out I wasn't sure if his character was going to be boring to follow but the actor did well and the clowns involved him a lot in their antics. The kids were alright but not in the movie much.

The gore was amazing. The exploitation aspect of it wasn't over the top either it was realistic so it worked. I also like how it didn't necessarily increase in violence or intensity as the film moved along but the random tame scenes that led to other crazy scenes made it more unexpected and at greater shock? Plenty of blood and I love the clowns laughing during every kill and it wasn't corny. I loved the idea of the cards so much. I mention again, la muerte.

The camera was great quality and the shots were great. Nothing too special about the style but seemed very professional. Yeah, not much to comment on the style of filming this time but overall, would watch many times again. Not often, or ever, does a clown flick make it to my stack.

Overall: 8.5 / 10
💀

Offline Mayvmi

• EHC Staff Writer
  • Debauched
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Stabbed in the Face (2004)
Director: Jason Matherne
Initial release: 2004
Watched: May 13, 2017

Plot: 7 / 10
Acting: 5 / 10
Gore: 8 / 10

I have to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed this little movie even though the score is not high. It's low budget and definitely amateur film making at its finest. I tend to love B-rated type slashers just because I like slashers in general. I definitely take into consideration the low budget and amateur actors when deciding how much I like a film. And I feel like the crew of this enjoyably shitty but not so shitty movie worked with what they had. As for the plot, very basic. The only reason it has a higher score than what its worth is because I got a major vibe of "small town activities". Its not like the teens lived in a lively city or classic suburban town and wanted to try something "new" or "crazy". The teens probably live in a small town where there is literally nothing better to do. I feel like it made the stereotypical plot a little less stereotypical. For the most part, the pacing of when to throw in a kill or some nudity was pretty well done. It was enough to keep you interested.

The most obviously lack in quality for this movie was the acting. Mentioning again, I do take into consideration that these are 100% amateur actors. It helps to not see them as shitty as they are. And although most were pretty bad while living, their deaths were pretty well done. I actually loved how awkward the first party scene is. The teens sitting around bored, the horny dudes trying to get some, the band playing live in the background. It was a good opening scene. The most annoying bitch in the film was the pussy boy's girlfriend that drank too much. Her best scene in my opinion was her death scene of course. Her hovering the toilet leading up to her getting killed was one of my favorite scenes.

The blood was excellent. I have to give special mention to the quality of the blood in this film. The color was great and some death scenes had plenty of it. The nudity was well placed. I don't know what it is about low quality film nudity with unshaven natural ladies that I love so much. Unlike most movies today when all the girls have big tits and hairless bodies. I almost feel like the girls with bush are almost a tribute to the older years of not only horror but film in general, before everyone was obsessed with being hairless. So the first naked chick's scene where she is running through the house, after the man she was fucking was killed, would have to be one of my favorite scenes as well.

Nothing too special about the style of filming. The lighting was well done for even the outside scenes in the middle of the night. Some mainstream movies today have issues with scenes being too dark so I applaud the clarity of their night scenes. I really like the shot of the girl in her underwear tied to a tree, don't ask me why. Overall, even though the score for this film isn't particularly high, I would definitely re-watch and recommend to anyone that enjoys low budget B-rated horror films.

💀