Member Panel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Chat Icon

Recent Topics

mentalheadtraumafilms
by splat
[Yesterday at 10:38:17 PM]
Newest Blu-Ray/DVD/VHS You Have Bought?
by Mr. Awesome
[Yesterday at 09:44:37 PM]
Someone Down There Likes Me (2009)
by splat
[Yesterday at 09:11:55 PM]
Post The Last Movie You Watched
by splat
[Yesterday at 07:47:01 AM]
Difficulty Breathing {2017} 2018 Release
by Mayvmi
[Yesterday at 02:21:05 AM]
Lady Krampus {2016}
by splat
[November 23, 2017, 08:31:03 PM]
Mouth To Mouth (2005)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:18:36 PM]
The Man With Two Brains (1983)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:10:15 PM]
The President's Last Bang (2005)
by perturbed
[November 22, 2017, 11:05:03 PM]
The Strangers: Prey At Night (2018)
by splat
[November 21, 2017, 10:22:00 PM]
Withdrawal (2017) - Short Film - Mayvmi Films
by splat
[November 21, 2017, 09:57:50 PM]
The Bad Man (2016)
by woodenheart
[November 21, 2017, 07:33:03 PM]
Blade of the Immortal {2017}
by Seikotik
[November 21, 2017, 04:46:35 PM]
BRUTAL. A Japanese Extreme Violent Romance Film
by Mayvmi
[November 21, 2017, 04:25:53 PM]
black lava entertainment
by woodenheart
[November 20, 2017, 06:03:02 PM]

Author Topic: Favourite Star Wars 'rip-offs'  (Read 2425 times)

Offline CountOrlok

• Debauched
  • We're all just complicated arrangements of atoms
Favourite Star Wars 'rip-offs'
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
Starcrash (1978)

A total work of genius.  I love this flick!!!  8)

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979)

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - Theatrical Pilot Opening

8)

Krull (1983)

8)

Message from Space (1978)

Awesome final battle.  Reminds me of Return of the Jedi.  :o

The Black Hole (1979)

8)

Offline CountOrlok

• Debauched
Re: Favourite Star Wars 'rip-offs'
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
Damn, I forgot to put one of my absolute favourites:

Masters of the Universe (1987)

;D

Offline I_Drink_Your_Blood

• Baron Blood
  • Depraved
  • Drinking your blood since '83
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I love most of these (more than Star Wars). Starcrash, Krull, and Masters of the Universe are personal favourites. I've never really seen 'Masters' as a rip-off of Star Wars, though. I guess it comes from growing up with the cartoon series.

I'd also add Battle Beyond the Stars and Spaceballs (itself a direct parody of course) to the list.

Offline Sek'Tal Alcyone

• Demented
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:32 AM »
I could never get into Star Wars, I just never saw what all the fuss was about.

Offline Dave

• @Cinematic Shocks
  • Depraved
    • Cinematic Shocks
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Masters of the Universe are personal favourites. I've never really seen 'Masters' as a rip-off of Star Wars, though. I guess it comes from growing up with the cartoon series.

The cartoon series was a big part of my childhood too. I can remember the day the very first episode aired in the UK in the 80s because all four channels were out for the miners' strike and I was worried it wasn't going to be on. Then suddenly Thames Television came back on with CITV and showed it.

I went to see the movie in a packed out theatre at my local cinema.

Anybody remember this Star Wars rip-off?...

Offline CountOrlok

• Debauched
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »
I love most of these (more than Star Wars). Starcrash, Krull, and Masters of the Universe are personal favourites. I've never really seen 'Masters' as a rip-off of Star Wars, though. I guess it comes from growing up with the cartoon series.

I'd also add Battle Beyond the Stars and Spaceballs (itself a direct parody of course) to the list.

Spaceballs, yeah, I love that movie.

Not really saying their 'rip-offs', it's just without Star Wars' success I doubt that they would be made.  Masters of the Universe has a lot of elements in common with Star Wars, though.

Haven't seen Battle Beyond the Stars, a Roger Corman low budget b-movie.  I should know what to expect, though.  :P

I could never get into Star Wars, I just never saw what all the fuss was about.

This guy's too cool for school.  8) 8)

Masters of the Universe are personal favourites. I've never really seen 'Masters' as a rip-off of Star Wars, though. I guess it comes from growing up with the cartoon series.

The cartoon series was a big part of my childhood too. I can remember the day the very first episode aired in the UK in the 80s because all four channels were out for the miners' strike and I was worried it wasn't going to be on. Then suddenly Thames Television came back on with CITV and showed it.

I went to see the movie in a packed out theatre at my local cinema.

Anybody remember this Star Wars rip-off?...

Yeah that one's pretty cool, some neat 80s cgi.

Offline JRXTIN

• Twisted
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

Eragon should have been a far better movie, but Rachel Weisz's Saphira is still a great character. 

I'm also a big fan of Star Crash.  It's only flaw is that the heroine's last costume is anti-climatic after the earlier ones. 

Offline Mayvmi

• GORE WHORE
  • EHC Moderator
  • Debauched
  • 28:06:42:12
    • Reviews
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
HAHAHAHA wow I never thought I would hear of Eragon again, it was my very first midnight premiere as a kid and my sister wouldn't stop complaining about how much better the book was. I read the book after, but don't remember much.

Offline splat

• mentalheadtraumafilms
  • Administrator
  • Gore Master
  • EHC4Life!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Just think how much better most of these films are to the original  :exciting: Oops I opened up a can of worms   :gum:

Offline JRXTIN

• Twisted
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
HAHAHAHA wow I never thought I would hear of Eragon again, it was my very first midnight premiere as a kid and my sister wouldn't stop complaining about how much better the book was. I read the book after, but don't remember much.

I've got the first two books.  They aren't the worst fantasy books I've read.  The books definitely do a better job with Galbatorix than the movies, but the movie does a great job with Saphira.  It might have been nice if her face hadn't been so anthropomorphized, but I think she was a break out character that got killed by an otherwise lackluster film. 

Another problem was that the elf girl was lousy as a love interest.  It would have been a nice twist if, at the end, Saphira discovered she could change into a human form, and Eragon gave the elf the boot and went off with his dragon girl.  Sadly, in the 2nd book his magic becomes so strong that he changes into an elf, but the elf girl still won't have him.   

Offline JRXTIN

• Twisted
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »
Just think how much better most of these films are to the original  :exciting: Oops I opened up a can of worms   :gum:

Eh, maybe not so much.  Empire is the only truly good Star Wars movie.  Jedi is half good, too bad the other half is Ewoks.  If Disney could replace the Ewoks with the Wookies Jedi was supposed to have though, it would be as good as Empire, or close. 

A New Hope is less than the sum of its parts, but the parts are almost all incredible.  Now that I think of it, I'd like it at least 50% better if the title were only "Star Wars."  I'm not up enough on Star Wars trivia to know if A New Hope originally had that subtitle or if it was tacked on later.  I'd like to think it was tacked on later, then I can pretend it never happened, like Greedo shooting first.

I'd like it another 10% better if they'd gotten Vader's voice right.

I'd like it 200% better if I could swap Princess Leia out for Stella Star.  Now there's a girl I'd rescue from the Death Star.  I'd only rescue Leia out of a sense of obligation to save another human being, and then I'd regret it when I saw her attitude.  I don't think Han would have had any interest in her after she insulted the Falcon.  A woman can't insult a man's ride.  She might as well insult his dick.  I'm not sure which is worse, but they're both unforgivable.  So yeah, Leia was an awful character.